Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Rick van Vliet <sa...@rickvanvliet.com> on 2006/07/17 23:20:35 UTC

Rules getting bypassed?

Hello. New to the list, I have a question that I hope isn't "too newbie".
Running SA 3.1.2  with a qmail server for a small (50) group of users.
Vpopmail handling virtuals, and procmail.
(auto_whitelist is disabled)

I have one user who is getting creamed and no matter how much we do
sa-learn --spam...on the IMAP folder we move his spam into...this user's
mail somehow gets through with low scores, and he's averaging 60 spams a
day, total,  with FORTY of those that actually get to his inbox.

Other than changing his email address, how would I teach SA that this is
spam?

Thanks,
Rick

To:  hphilxxx@mashpetcare.com
From:  "Daily Credit News" <ne...@dailycreditnews.com>

Re: Rules getting bypassed?

Posted by Rick van Vliet <sa...@rickvanvliet.com>.
jdow wrote:
> From: "Rick van Vliet" <sa...@rickvanvliet.com>
>
>> jdow wrote:
>>> From: "Rick van Vliet" <sa...@rickvanvliet.com>

> Rick, you do not have ANY BAYES_xx rule hitting at all. So Bayes is not
> working. It looks like you have been carefully training individual user's
> BAYES databases but not the global one. You must update the database
> as the UID that owns the database.

Had a few "A-ha" moments, and have figured out how I need to "su" as teh
virtual (vpopmail) user.
Doing some feeding now, and I'll see how things go.
Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions,
Rick

Re: Rules getting bypassed?

Posted by Rick van Vliet <sa...@rickvanvliet.com>.
jdow wrote:
> From: "Rick van Vliet" <sa...@rickvanvliet.com>
>
>> jdow wrote:
>>> From: "Rick van Vliet" <sa...@rickvanvliet.com>

>> I'll look at the INSTALL, and see what I missed in the configuration.
>> (if I can find that ;)
>> Thanks,
>> rick
>
> Rick, you do not have ANY BAYES_xx rule hitting at all. So Bayes is not
> working. It looks like you have been carefully training individual user's
> BAYES databases but not the global one. You must update the database
> as the UID that owns the database.
>
> {^_^}

OK, Thanks...I think I know what my problem is-I've been su'ing to root,
and running sa-learn as root.
Also, I seem to be running "spamassassin", and not "spamd/spamc".
Is this a problem?

BUT--I'm really not sure how to do it as the vpopmail user, since these
maildirs are owned by vpopmail:vchkpw. (individual users do not have
shell account), and
Any pointers to a reliable guide for getting SA to work with *vpopmail*,
and I'll work on that.

I'm pretty sure was getting BAYES_xx rules hitting before upgrading to
3.1.2....
I'm feeling a little dense, all of a sudden.
thanks,
rick

(And since midnight, this virtual user received 17 msgs, all spam, all
moved into .Spam folder properly by procmail. But still no BAYES_xx rule
mentioned in the headers)

Re: Rules getting bypassed?

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Rick van Vliet" <sa...@rickvanvliet.com>