Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Shalom Sagges <sh...@liveperson.com> on 2016/11/30 10:41:59 UTC

Cassandra 2.x Stability

Hi Everyone,

I'm about to upgrade our 2.0.14 version to a newer 2.x version.
At first I thought of upgrading to 2.2.8, but I'm not sure how stable it
is, as I understand the 2.2 version was supposed to be a sort of beta
version for 3.0 feature-wise, whereas 3.0 upgrade will mainly handle the
storage modifications (please correct me if I'm wrong).

So my question is, if I need a 2.x version (can't upgrade to 3 due to
client considerations), which one should I choose, 2.1.x or 2.2.x? (I'm
don't require any new features available in 2.2).

Thanks!

Shalom Sagges
DBA
T: +972-74-700-4035
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/164748> <http://twitter.com/liveperson>
<http://www.facebook.com/LivePersonInc> We Create Meaningful Connections
<https://engage.liveperson.com/idc-mobile-first-consumer/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=mkto&utm_campaign=idcsig>

--
This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this on behalf of the

RE: Cassandra 2.x Stability

Posted by Joaquin Alzola <Jo...@lebara.com>.
On the cassandra web itself.

http://cassandra.apache.org/download/

Is there an official notification of these EOL dates somewhere?

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 4:38 AM, kurt Greaves <ku...@instaclustr.com>> wrote:
Latest release in 2.2. 2.1 is borderline EOL and from my experience 2.2 is quite stable and has some handy bugfixes that didn't actually make it into 2.1

On 30 November 2016 at 10:41, Shalom Sagges <sh...@liveperson.com>> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm about to upgrade our 2.0.14 version to a newer 2.x version.
At first I thought of upgrading to 2.2.8, but I'm not sure how stable it is, as I understand the 2.2 version was supposed to be a sort of beta version for 3.0 feature-wise, whereas 3.0 upgrade will mainly handle the storage modifications (please correct me if I'm wrong).

So my question is, if I need a 2.x version (can't upgrade to 3 due to client considerations), which one should I choose, 2.1.x or 2.2.x? (I'm don't require any new features available in 2.2).

Thanks!

[https://signature.s3.amazonaws.com/2015/lp_logo.png]

Shalom Sagges

DBA

T: +972-74-700-4035<tel:+972%2074-700-4035>

[https://signature.s3.amazonaws.com/2015/LinkedIn.png]<http://www.linkedin.com/company/164748>

[https://signature.s3.amazonaws.com/2015/Twitter.png]<http://twitter.com/liveperson>

[https://signature.s3.amazonaws.com/2015/Facebook.png]<http://www.facebook.com/LivePersonInc>

We Create Meaningful Connections

[https://signature.s3.amazonaws.com/2015/banners/idc-email-sig.png]<https://engage.liveperson.com/idc-mobile-first-consumer/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=mkto&utm_campaign=idcsig>

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this on behalf of the addressee you must not use, copy, disclose or take action based on this message or any information herein.
If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply email and delete this message. Thank you.

This email is confidential and may be subject to privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not copy or disclose its content but contact the sender immediately upon receipt.

Re: Cassandra 2.x Stability

Posted by James Rothering <jr...@codojo.me>.

Re: Cassandra 2.x Stability

Posted by Vladimir Yudovin <vl...@winguzone.com>.
You should also consider end of support term, as Cassandra page says:

Apache Cassandra 2.2 is supported until November 2016.

Apache Cassandra 2.1 is supported until November 2016 with critical fixes only

So 2.1 actually don't get any fixes, even critical.

Best regards, Vladimir Yudovin,

Winguzone - Cloud Cassandra Hosting

---- On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 07:38:46 -0500 kurt Greaves &lt;kurt@instaclustr.com&gt; wrote ----

Re: Cassandra 2.x Stability

Posted by kurt Greaves <ku...@instaclustr.com>.

Re: Cassandra 2.x Stability

Posted by Benjamin Roth <be...@jaumo.com>.
No worries.
I added some patches to these tickets after having tested them yesterday
with our production cluster.
I think this will be a huge step for MV stability.

Anybody welcome to post comments on them or give me a review:
CASSANDRA-12888, CASSANDRA-12905, CASSANDRA-12984

Thanks folks!

--
Benjamin Roth
Prokurist

Jaumo GmbH · www.jaumo.com
Wehrstraße 46 · 73035 Göppingen · Germany
Phone +49 7161 304880-6 · Fax +49 7161 304880-1
AG Ulm · HRB 731058 · Managing Director: Jens Kammerer

Re: Cassandra 2.x Stability

Posted by Kai Wang <de...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cassandra 2.x Stability

Posted by Benjamin Roth <be...@jaumo.com>.

Re: Cassandra 2.x Stability

Posted by Luke Jolly <lu...@getadmiral.com>.
I have been using 3.0.x in moderate load production on a 8 node cluster
since 3.0.5.  I agree with start at 3.0.X.  Starting a new project on a
version that just reached end of life is very hard to justify in my mind.

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016, 10:22 AM Jonathan Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com> wrote:

> [...]
>

> This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
> If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this on behalf of
> the addressee you must not use, copy, disclose or take action based on this
> message or any information herein.
> If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender
> immediately by reply email and delete this message. Thank you.
>

> This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
> If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this on behalf of
> the addressee you must not use, copy, disclose or take action based on this
> message or any information herein.
> If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender
> immediately by reply email and delete this message. Thank you.

Luke Jolly
Senior Site Reliability Engineer
(850) 270-3243 <8502703243>
luke@getadmiral.com
getadmiral.com

How much are you losing to adblockers? Find out for free with Admiral
<http://getadmiral.com>.

Re: Cassandra 2.x Stability

Posted by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.

Re: Cassandra 2.x Stability