Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2013/07/15 05:10:15 UTC

Apache Flex 4.10 release

Hi,

About time we got this release out the door! If there's no one that going to step forward and fix some of the outstanding issue we'll should just release with out them, what we currently have in the develop branch is significantly better than the 4.9 release so lets get it out there so people can use it.

To start the process off I've updated the README and RELEASE_NOTE (a little more work is required) and created a release branch "release4.10.0", who's willing to help out?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
> I have one compiled if you're having any issues and can submit that.
>
> Only reason we might consider it it that I think the web of trust with my Apache digital signature is little larger (having gone to 2 ApacheCon/key signing parties).

Well, in addition to that excellent reason (and a "good" reason for me
to attend me some of those), I seem to be having a bad coding day.
Basically nothing I've done today is working :-(

Justin, please go ahead and publish your files.

Thanks,

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

>> Erik is working on getting the Mac binaries as we speak.

I have one compiled if you're having any issues and can submit that.

Only reason we might consider it it that I think the web of trust with my Apache digital signature is little larger (having gone to 2 ApacheCon/key signing parties).

If there any easy way to get multiple people to sign a release?

Justin

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 1:35 AM, Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com> wrote:

> On 17/07/2013 09:31, OmPrakash Muppirala wrote:
>
>>   Erik is working on getting the Mac binaries as we speak.
>>
> Is anyone trying to build the Linux version (remembering to target AIR
> 2.6) ?

I havent had a chance to try it yet.  Will give it a go tomorrow.

> I didn't get a chance to try this myself last night, hopefully will get to
> try again later though. I should now switch to the release branch from
> develop for the flex-utilities project, right ?

For flex-utilities, we cut releases directly from the develop branch (since
it is low traffic)  We will create a tag once we settle on a golden RC.

Thanks,
Om

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
On 17/07/2013 09:31, OmPrakash Muppirala wrote:
>   Erik is working on getting the Mac binaries as we speak.
Is anyone trying to build the Linux version (remembering to target AIR
2.6) ?
I didn't get a chance to try this myself last night, hopefully will get
to try again later though. I should now switch to the release branch
from develop for the flex-utilities project, right ?

Tom

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Laurent Jayr <ja...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> The installation failed on my side. Here are the install logs for your
> information.
> Thanks.
>
> Version 2.6.0 (mac)
> Fetched the SDK download mirror URL from the CGI.
> AIR version 3.7
> Flash Player version 11.7
> Creating Apache Flex home
> Creating temporary directory
> Downloading Apache Flex SDK from:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/flex/sdk/4.10.0/rc1/apache-flex-sdk-4.10.0-bin.tar.gz
> Unable to download Apache Flex SDK
> Installation aborted

Thanks for the note, Laurent.  I think once Justin pushes a new build of
the Mac installer .dmg file (hopefully in a few hours), this issue should
be fixed.

Thanks,
Om

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Laurent Jayr <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

The installation failed on my side. Here are the install logs for your
information.
Thanks.

Version 2.6.0 (mac)
Fetched the SDK download mirror URL from the CGI.
AIR version 3.7
Flash Player version 11.7
Creating Apache Flex home
Creating temporary directory
Downloading Apache Flex SDK from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/flex/sdk/4.10.0/rc1/apache-flex-sdk-4.10.0-bin.tar.gz
Unable to download Apache Flex SDK
Installation aborted

2013/7/17 Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>

> On 7/17/2013 3:31 PM, OmPrakash Muppirala wrote:
>

>> The Installer 2.6 RC1 is up on the dist site (source + windows binaries)
>>

> the installer
>  - installed ok.
>  - installed the 4.10.0 SDK RC plenty fine.
>
> compiled one of our bread & butter apps (big & complex) w/the 4.10.0 SDK,
> worked fine. ran a few quick tests against the app, looked a-ok. i'll do
> more testing in the morning. but i'm a happy camper so far.
>
> thanks guys.

Laurent Jayr

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Terry Corbet <te...@gmail.com>.
OK, I'll give you a break -- re-running with 11.7 and 3.7.  OM's installer
enhancements are quite nice.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Terry Corbet <te...@gmail.com>.
Not to confuse your thread, the original topic seemed to request feedback
across any/all platforms.  Here is the log for an attempt to download AIR
3.8

Version 2.6.0 (windows)
Fetched the SDK download mirror URL from the CGI.
AIR version 3.8
Flash Player version 11.8
Creating Apache Flex home
Creating temporary directory
Downloading Apache Flex SDK from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/flex/sdk/4.10.0/rc1/binaries/apache-flex-sdk-4.10.0-bin.zip
Verifying Apache Flex SDK MD5 Signature
The Apache Flex SDK MD5 Signature of the downloaded files matches the
reference. The file is valid.
Uncompressing: G:\OM\temp\apache-flex-sdk-4.10.0-bin.zip
Finished uncompressing: G:\OM\temp\apache-flex-sdk-4.10.0-bin.zip
Downloading Adobe AIR Runtime Kit for Windows from:
http://airdownload.adobe.com/air/win/download/3.8/AdobeAIRSDK.zip
Unable to download Adobe AIR Runtime Kit
Unable to clean up temporary installation directories
Installation aborted

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I am making a bit of a change to the Installer (adding ability to switch
> > Flex versions interactively).  I will be ready to push it out in a few
> > hours.  Lets make a new build together after that.
>
> Fine by me.
>
> Justin

Quick update:  I have added the ability to interactively select the Flex
version from the Installer.  Now we can select nightly build from the
Apache build server as well.  Plus a few all-round bug fixes.

The Installer 2.6 RC1 is up on the dist site (source + windows binaries)
 Erik is working on getting the Mac binaries as we speak.

I am heading off to sleep now, Erik will take over from here :-)

Thanks,
Om

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Justin,

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I've stuck a OSX compiled installer to help test out the 4.10 release here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/flex/installer/2.6/rc1/binaries/

It uses the config file from here (which points at the Apache Flex 4.10.0 RC1 release)
http://flex.apache.org/installer/sdk-installer-config-3.0-rc1.xml

Hope that helps a few people test it out a little more.

Anyone create a windows one for me and put it in the same spot? I mage a single line change to point at the rc1 config file.

private var configOverride:String = "http://flex.apache.org/installer/sdk-installer-config-3.0-rc1.xml";

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 7/16/2013 9:33 PM, OmPrakash Muppirala wrote:
>
>> I plan to put out an RC for the Installer soon.
>>

> i hate to say it but for someone like me having an installer to setup the
> SDK for testing would make it much easier. worked myself into a tizzy
> trying to get my dev environment squared away (JDK vs plain JRE, 32 vs 64
> bit JDKs, figuring out that i needed ant & getting it installed, blah blah
> blah--and its still not quite right, trying again in the morning).
>
> what's probably simple & obvious to you guys, isn't to me. while i'm glad
> i'm being forced to learn this, i imagine you'd get more/faster help
> testing SDK releases if they were released w/big O's installer.

I hear you.  Even I cant install the SDK without the Installer :-) The
Installer will be ready shortly.  Erik and I will be putting up an RC1
soon.

Thanks,
Om

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I get that. I was wondering if having a regular build off the release
> branch would be a help during the RC period?

No need to we merge changes into develop which I think is simpler.

Justin

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Alexander Doroshko <al...@jetbrains.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Alexander Doroshko <al...@jetbrains.com>.
On 16.07.2013 17:27, Nicholas Kwiatkowski wrote:
>   - IntelliJ is giving me an invalid namespace error for this build
> (binaries).  I'm trying to track that down to see what is causing it.

I tried installer 2.6.0 rc1 and installed Flex SDK 4.10.0 RC1 with AIR
SDK 3.7 and playerglobal 11.7. I see no problems with code highlighting
in IntelliJ IDEA.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Gary Young <fl...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Fred, I have FDK in my local Nexus server, however I feel that this
process cost a lot of time, and it needs a lot of skills too, Flex users
really don't need to know it. -Gary

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Gary Young <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> - IDE scripts are missing (I see you just committed those to the repo)
Yep fixed.

> - IDE scripts in the repo are not pointing to the correct URL for the AIR SDK
Adobe is taking its time in getting out AIR 3.8, it's normally released the same time as Flash Player, 11.8 was released a week ago now.

> - IntelliJ is giving me an invalid namespace error for this build
We need to look into that - please report back.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Justin,

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I tried the utilities, it can not find playerglobal.swc, I guess it has the license problems too
Post the issue you encountered in detail in another thread and I'm sure someone from the list can help.

> Is it possible to get around it or to make it easier?
I believe so but as I said I don't use Maven, others on the list do use it and can get it working with Apache Flex.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Gary Young <fl...@gmail.com>.
I tried the utilities, it can not find playerglobal.swc, I guess it has the
license problems too,

I would have to say this is the worst hit for Flex popularity, Is it

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Gary Young <fl...@gmail.com>.
Is Apache Flex deployed in any maven repository? is there a sample POM
using it? thanks. -Gary

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Justin,

I'm here and have some time. If you don't have any pressing stuff that
you need help with, I'll be adding functionality to the Mustella VM
that will allow it to test all suites against both the baseline (11.1
and 3.7) and bleeding edge (11.8 and 3.8). Alex tells me that the

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Lee Burrows <su...@leeburrows.com>.
Thanks for the link.

Btw, i'm concerned about accidentally importing the wrong component and
spending hours trying to work out why it isn't acting correctly (the
experimental Callout is not compatible with the existing one) rather
than the size increase.

--
Lee Burrows
ActionScripter

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Apache Flex 4.10 release

Posted by Lee Burrows <su...@leeburrows.com>.
Some nice sdk changes - i can see a few of those being very handy (eg:
ButtonBar button disabling). Can you put up a link to the outstanding
issues? (probably for 100th time, sorry)

Are the experimental components included in the sdk by default? Either
via standard build.xml or the installer? I ask because i notice that
experimental component "spark.components.CallOut" has a similar name to
the existing mobile component "spark.components.Callout" (same for
CallOutButton and CallOutPosition classes). I can see that causing no
end of problems with uncertain typists.

--
Lee Burrows
ActionScripter