Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com> on 2009/10/05 22:59:17 UTC

[ANN] Apache Felix Http Service version 2.0.2 Released

The Felix team is pleased to announce the release of Apache Felix Http
Service version 2.0.2.

This is an implementation of the Http Service Specification as described in
chapter 102 of the OSGi Compendium. It also implement a non-standard
extension for registering servlet filters as well as a whiteboard
implementation.

  http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-http-service.html

This release is available from
http://felix.apache.org/site/downloads.cgiand Maven (see complete
artifact list in documentation):

  <dependency>
    <groupId>org.apache.felix</groupId>
    <artifactId>org.apache.felix.http.bundle</artifactId>
    <version>2.0.2</version>
  </dependency>

Release Notes:

** Improvement
    * [FELIX-771] - Jetty 6 is "verbose" on the log
    * [FELIX-1456] - Contribution: Extended and improved HttpService
    * [FELIX-1604] - Improve logging for http bundles
    * [FELIX-1615] - FilterMapping/ServletMapping object to API
    * [FELIX-1616] - Convert to Java 1.4 compliant code
    * [FELIX-1640] - Change default port number to 8080

** New Feature
    * [FELIX-64] - Create a whiteboard adaptor for the HTTP Service

** Task
    * [FELIX-1667] - Revise NOTICE and LICENSE files
    * [FELIX-1668] - Fix OSGi dependencies

Enjoy!

- The Felix team

Re: [ANN] Apache Felix Http Service version 2.0.2 Released

Posted by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com>.
On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:39 PM, Edelson, Justin <
Justin.Edelson@mtvstaff.com> wrote:

> Sten Roger Sandvik wrote:
> > The example should be clearer. It's actually set inside the
> ProvisionActivator. First statement inside start(..) method.
> > servletContext.setAttribute(BundleContext.class.getName(), context);
>
> Ugh. Not sure how I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out.
>
> While this is a great addition to Felix, it still feels incomplete in
> that I need to write this glue code. For some reason, I was under the
> impression that the Felix devs weren't interested in providing a
> standard solution to this problem, but perhaps I'm mistaken. Obviously,
> people can roll their own solution, but I would like to see something
> come "out of the box." There's enough code already in Sling that could
> be rolled into Felix to provide this (for example, looking for bundles
> in /WEB-INF/resources/bundles/[start level]).

Yes, would very like to get rid of this glue code, but when running inside a
WAR you still need some sort of mechanism for starting the container.
Perhaps Karaf has a solution for this or maybe there is some need in "core"
Felix? The servlet proxy that comes with the servlet brige needs a way to
get hold of a bundlecontext so it can track the actual dispatcherservlet
that is registered inside OSGi framework.

If this is something worth discussing, let me know. Alternatively, I can
> just submit a JIRA issue and/or start working on some patches, but I
> personally would like to see some consensus on what the desirable
> default behavior is.
>
> Incidentally, the bridge seems to work fine with Servlet 2.4.

Great. Maybe it's wise to downgrade the servlet api dependencies for http
servlet implementation to 2.3 and not 2.5. Will look into this.

Posted by "Edelson, Justin" <Ju...@mtvstaff.com>.

Posted by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com>.
On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 11:24 PM, Edelson, Justin <
Justin.Edelson@mtvstaff.com> wrote:

> This looks great. I look forward to junking my custom bridge code.
>
> One question - in
> http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-http-service.html#ApacheFelixH
> ttpService-UsingtheServletBridge, it is stated that one must "In a
> startup listener (like ServletContextListener) set the BundleContext as
> a servlet context attribute." but this isn't done in the example, at
> least as far as I can see looking at the code in
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/trunk/http/samples/bridge/src/main
> /java/org/apache/felix/http/samples/bridge/.

The example should be clearer. It's actually set inside the
ProvisionActivator. First statement inside start(..) method.
servletContext.setAttribute(BundleContext.class.getName(), context);

> Also, does the bridge code actually require Servlet 2.5? I can't be the
> only one still running Tomcat 5.5 :)

It's been tested with 2.5 servlet spec. But I think it will work with any
servlet spec. Must have 2.3 for filter support, that's all.

Posted by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com>.
Tested now with sling trunk and I did not find any problems. I replaced
pax-web-service (0.6.0) bundle with org.apache.felix.http.jetty (2.0.2) in
launchpad/app/pom.xml and compiled launchpad/app. Ran the standalone version
and did not see any problems.

BR,
Sten Roger Sandvik

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.