Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Mike O'Leary <tm...@uw.edu> on 2012/04/25 19:15:27 UTC

Repackaging an unpackaged pear file

I received a copy of an application that works with UIMA a few weeks ago from
some colleagues at another location. When I followed the instructions to
install it, I got an error message while unpacking a pear file, and it looks
like an XML file within it contains some hard-coded pathnames to a machine at
the organization that sent our colleagues the application originally. I could
ask them to get in touch with the organization and ask them to recreate the
pear file with relative pathnames so it can be installed on machines on other
networks, and I probably will do that. But I was wondering how hard it would be
just to correct the pathnames, re-package the pear file, and reinstall that
one. I have never worked with UIMA before, so I am learning the basics as I go.
How complicated would it be to create an Eclipse project using the directory
structure that the pear file expanded to, or to run a command line application
that creates a pear file from that directory structure?
Thanks,
Mike

Re: Repackaging an unpackaged pear file

Posted by Jens Grivolla <j+...@grivolla.net>.
We actually do that all the time, it works perfectly. Some archive
managers even let you edit the file without unpacking it. You may need
to rename it from .pear to .zip and back to .pear when you're done.

Jens

Posted by "Mike O\\\\\\'Leary" <tm...@uw.edu>.
Thilo Goetz <tw...@...> writes:

> On 27/04/12 00:52, Mike O'Leary wrote:
> > Mike O'Leary <tm...@...> writes:

> >> I do have the original pear file. Would it work to do the following steps:
> >> 1. Change the pear file extension from .pear to .zip.
> >> 2. Unzip the archive.
> >> 3. Change the pathnames in the file from absolute to the correct relative
> >> pathnames.
> >> 4. Rezip the unzipped directory structure.
> >> 5. Change the extension back to .pear.
> >>
> >> If that works, then I can easily do it. I didn't realize that .pear files
used
> >> compression that is compatible with that used for .zip files.
> >> Thanks,
> >> Mike
> >>

> > I guess there must be more to it. When I tried using WinZip and whatever
similar
> > capability is built into Windows 7 to expand a pear file, change the
pathnames
> > and rezip it, the archive that was produced was slightly larger than the
> > original, and when I tried to install it, I got an IOException with the
message
> > "installation descriptor not found". I didn't change anything other than the
> > pathnames in one file, so the installation descriptor was still in the right
> > place. I assume it couldn't find the installation descriptor because it
didn't
> > recognize the format of the compressed file. What would be a good tool for
> > expanding and compressing pear files (without interpreting their contents)?
> > Thanks,
> > Mike
> >

> Mike,
>
> a pear file is nothing but a zip file with a specific
> structure and certain files.  If you have a pear file
> with absolute paths in it, that sounds like a contradiction
> to me.  I would go back to the source and ask them to
> give you a properly packaged pear, with no absolute paths.
>
> If that is not possible, your only option is to dive into
> the pear documentation and try to reconstruct a proper
> pear from what you have (which may not be that difficult).
>
> --Thilo

I found a solution after some trial and error with unzipping and rezipping the
pear file in ways that didn't produce a pear file that UIMA recognized. Instead
of unzipping the pear file (renamed to have a .zip extension), I just right-
clicked on it and selected Open With->Windows Explorer, which opens the zip file
as if it is a directory. I couldn't open any files for editing from that
directory, but I did copy the offending file into a normal directory, changed
the absolute pathnames to relative ones, copied the file back into the directory
representing the zip file, and closed that directory. The result was a zip file
of the same size as the original pear file, and when I installed it, it didn't
complain about not being able to find the installation descriptor. So fully
unzipping and rezipping the pear file didn't work for me, but changing one file
while disturbing the pear file as little as possible did. Thank you to everyone
who provided information and advice.
Mike

Re: Running UIMA on a cluster

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.
The UIMA-AS framework doesn't have any support for deploying processes
across a cluster. SGE could be used to play that role.

Because UIMA-AS services register with a JMS broker, and the UIMA-AS client
communicates with these services via the broker, it doesn't matter
where they run.

Eddie

Re: Running UIMA on a cluster

Posted by Thomas Ginter <th...@utah.edu>.
UIMA-AS is still at 2.3.1. For that reason we have not upgraded our core to 2.4.0 yet.

You are so right about the README though.

Thanks,

Tom

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Running UIMA on a cluster

Posted by Eric Riebling <er...@cs.cmu.edu>.
Oops, sorry, spoke too soon.  It's not in README any more, as of 2.4.0.  D'oh!

Re: Running UIMA on a cluster

Posted by John David Osborne <oz...@uab.edu>.

Re: Running UIMA on a cluster

Posted by Eric Riebling <er...@cs.cmu.edu>.

Re: Running UIMA on a cluster

Posted by Eric Riebling <er...@cs.cmu.edu>.
I'd like to point out also that the best UIMA-AS documentation is actually
not where one might first go looking (in docs, html, or pdf files) but rather
the README file at the top level of the UIMA-AS distribution.  That's where
to find the good stuff. :)

Re: Running UIMA on a cluster

Posted by Thomas Ginter <th...@utah.edu>.

Running UIMA on a cluster