Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Hut Carspecken <hu...@sbcglobal.net> on 2003/12/02 16:43:19 UTC

Disconnect between JAMES and MySQL

Good Morning,

Last night Sudip and I had a problem with the following error.

Server connection failure during transaction. Due to underlying exception: 'java.sql.SQLException:
Invalid authorization specification,  message from server: "Access denied for user: 'root@1.2.3.4'
(Using password: YES)"'.

Attempted reconnect 3 times. Giving up.

We are running James 2.2.0a8 on a Dual Xeon server and MySQL on another Dual Xeon server, both
running RedHat 9.0 + Linux.  We loaded 100,000 users into MySQL and hope to get some metrics ASAP.

Now, we have examined the permissions to the username and password, but no luck.  Has anyone seen
this error before?  Both servers are behind the same firewall.

Re: Disconnect between JAMES and MySQL

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Hut Carspecken wrote:
> Server connection failure during transaction. Due to underlying exception: 'java.sql.SQLException:
> Invalid authorization specification,  message from server: "Access denied for user: 'root@1.2.3.4'
> (Using password: YES)"'.
>
> Attempted reconnect 3 times. Giving up.
>
> We are running James 2.2.0a8 on a Dual Xeon server and MySQL on another Dual Xeon server, both
> running RedHat 9.0 + Linux.  We loaded 100,000 users into MySQL and hope to get some metrics ASAP.
>
> Now, we have examined the permissions to the username and password, but no luck.  Has anyone seen
> this error before?  Both servers are behind the same firewall.

Very sorry for the late reply... Steve already gave a pointer, but
here's my 2 cents.

I recognize this error and have thrown many a computer monitor around my
office trying to figure this out.

You are successfully connecting to your MySQL database from JAMES, but
MySQL is rejecting your username/password/connection string.  Note that
with mysql, jdbc:mysql://localhost/foobar and
jdbc:mysql://1.2.3.4/foobar could authenticate differently even if you
use root as the user in both cases.

--
Serge Knystautas
President