Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "S.A. Birl" <sb...@concept.temple.edu> on 2005/03/15 22:18:45 UTC

[users@httpd] Deny,Allow on an Apache proxy server

Using Apache 2.0.48 as both a regular and proxy server.

I am proxy'ing (forwards and backwards) a website, /mis, to an IIS server.
A request came in to IP restrict a specific folder under mis called files.

Originally, I set the IP restriction on the IIS server, forgetting that
the proxy was allowed to connect.  Therefore I need to set the same
restriction in httpd.conf

In httpd.conf I have

<Directory ~ "*/mis/files/*">
        Order Deny,Allow
        Deny from All
</Directory>

located before the proxy definitions.  However, when I attempt to view the
URL, the restriction is not in effect.

I saw nothing in the error log and 'apachectl configtest' was OK.

What's the proper way of IP-restricting this folder from Apache?

Thanks.
Birl

Re: [users@httpd] Deny,Allow on an Apache proxy server

Posted by "S.A. Birl" <sb...@concept.temple.edu>.
On Mar 15, Joshua Slive (nospam-jslive@gmail.com.ns) typed:

Joshua:  Try <Location /mis/files/> ... </Location>

Excellent!  Worked.

<praise>
  I knew I could count on you for the answer.
  You're a great asset to this list, Joshua.
  Thanks again.
</praise>

Re: [users@httpd] Deny,Allow on an Apache proxy server

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:18:45 -0500 (EST), S.A. Birl
<sb...@concept.temple.edu> wrote:
> Using Apache 2.0.48 as both a regular and proxy server.
>
> I am proxy'ing (forwards and backwards) a website, /mis, to an IIS server.
> A request came in to IP restrict a specific folder under mis called files.
>
> Originally, I set the IP restriction on the IIS server, forgetting that
> the proxy was allowed to connect.  Therefore I need to set the same
> restriction in httpd.conf
>
> In httpd.conf I have
>
> <Directory ~ "*/mis/files/*">
>         Order Deny,Allow
>         Deny from All
> </Directory>
>
> located before the proxy definitions.  However, when I attempt to view the
> URL, the restriction is not in effect.

Try <Location /mis/files/> ... </Location>

Joshua.