Posted to user@struts.apache.org by T Platt <th...@platt.je> on 2008/06/05 11:29:09 UTC

[S2] Ideas on nesting webapps

Hi there,

I'm struggling to find a solution to what I think must be a common problem.

The client I work for has a single Struts/Struts2/Spring-WebFlow mashup of a
webapp that has grown organically over the last few years. We have a very
agile development process and like to do frequent releases.

Unfortunately as this monolithic webapp has grown its getting harder to
release as the dependencies on other outside factors has grown (matching
versions of webservices on other sites, database schema changes etc). There
are some projects within the webapp that need to be released on a weekly
basis and some that hold off these releases by a month while waiting for a
dependency to be satisfied.

Although the webapp lends itself to being broken up into separate webapps as
there are distinct functional areas there is also quite a lot of common code
(headers, footers, client permissions, session attributes) that we'd like to
keep in a single place. We'd like to maintain the same session attributes
across all the functional areas. We spun off one webapp a couple of years
ago as the release problem bit us and now we have two code bases to maintain
- its not great ! The thought of expanding this strategy further is
horrendous.

Does anyone have similar experience ?

Should we put the common code in its own CVS project (will contain jsp,
java, xml config files etc etc) and somehow pull this into every child
webapp ? We do use Maven and could easily add a 'mother' jar as a dependency
but could everything in a jar be referenced - jsps ? struts config xml ?

Could we have some kind of mother webapp and include actions/results from
separate child apps ? Bear in mind its all about releasing, its not a simple
case of modules within one webapp.

Would branching the code for different projects work and merging back to
root before a release be a more sensible strategy ?

Dare I say it on this forum, but are there other frameworks that lend
themselves to this concept ?

Many thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

Theo