Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Todd Lipcon <to...@apache.org> on 2016/11/14 23:49:05 UTC

TSU/ECCN notification for Impala podling

Hey folks,

I'm helping out the Impala podling with their ECCN (crypto export) notice.
I added them to the page at http://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/ (well,
really I just committed a patch provided by Sailesh Mukil). The next step
is to send the TSU NOTIFICATION email to the various US Government email
addresses.

I see Sailesh emailed general@ 11 days ago asking about who can send this
notice but didn't hear back. So now I'm trying again on his behalf :) As an
IPMC member and ASF member can I send in the notification, or would we
prefer that someone else do it? The generated email attached below lists
Roman as the contact, but iirc Ted Dunning is the current IPMC chair.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 10:50 AM, Sailesh Mukil <sa...@cloudera.com>
wrote:

> @Ted: The email has not yet been sent.

Ah... Thanks for the clarification.

Re: TSU/ECCN notification for Impala podling

Posted by Sailesh Mukil <sa...@cloudera.com>.
Thanks Stian, we will update the XML to read Ted Dunning.

@Ted: The email has not yet been sent. Todd included the generated email
from running bisnotice.xsl (as mentioned in the guidelines here):
https://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html#notify

The mail would need to be sent by you as you are the PMC Chair for the
Apache Incubator project.

Appreciate all your help here so far!

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
As you have noted in
https://github.com/apache/incubator-impala/blob/master/EXPORT_CONTROL.md,
"Designed for use with OpenSSL" sounds right to me for Impala - which
makes Impala an "Encryption item".

See also
https://github.com/apache/incubator-impala/blob/0d0c93ec8c4949940ec113192731f2adb66a0c5e/cmake_modules/FindOpenSSL.cmake

Correct that our policy is that Ted Dunning will have to send it as
the PMC chair - you need to update your "SUBMITTED BY" line (and
probably in the XML).

Personally I would also not send an encryption notice to a foreign
government authority without being somewhat legally protected as an
ASF officer. :-)

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: TSU/ECCN notification for Impala podling

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Todd,