Posted to user@syncope.apache.org by Jan <ja...@skylab.cz> on 2019/06/10 13:14:59 UTC

New to Syncope - send notifications from user to admin

Dear Syncope,

I am new to Syncope and Im trying to get it working as an end-user
governance system. Ill just try to post a model situation how I would like
it to work :-) Is it even possible?

1) I am the admin, who would work in the admin console (I already have a
fully functional AD connector, with push pull commands - Ive got all the
users from the AD in Syncope) All the governance would be made here

2) One of the HR employees would like to send me a notification through
syncope to create an account: John Smith, which department he is located in,
which data storage he should have access to.

3) This notification would be recieved in both Syncope and my mailbox, I
would just create the account in syncope, set the priviledges and push it
into AD

Here are a few problems that I encountered:

So far I got my end user registering module working with a security
question. Right now I can create new users through the syncope enduser
system

<http://syncope-user.1051894.n5.nabble.com/file/t339126/syncope_enduser.png>

The biggest problem is, that I cannot login via the end-user login screen,
so I have no idea what I can do there :) See picture below. All I can do is
keep clicking next next and when I click finish, nothing happens
The same goes with password reset. I can click on password reset, enter
security question, Syncope tells me that "user xxxxxx has been successfully
updated" - I have no Idea what was updated, because the old password heeps
working.

<http://syncope-user.1051894.n5.nabble.com/file/t339126/enduser_syncope2.png>

If anyone would help me, I would be extremely grateful :)

--
Sent from: http://syncope-user.1051894.n5.nabble.com/

Re: New to Syncope - send notifications from user to admin

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 24/06/19 15:58, Jan wrote:
> So my Docker version will not work? :)

As I wrote above, using the Standalone Distribution is "the simplest
path", not the only path.

Docker will work for sure provided that:

1. you are able to adjust the mail.properties (this time under
/opt/syncope/conf)
2. you are able to successfully configure notification, in a similar way
as provided by test data

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: New to Syncope - send notifications from user to admin

Posted by Jan <ja...@skylab.cz>.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 24/06/19 14:56, Jan wrote:
> Dear Ilgrosso,
>
> after a few hours of researching your test environment, that is exactly what
> I would like to achieve. User does a change, admin gets a notification and
> does the changes.
>
> Yet I still have absolutely no clue how to setup such a working "ticketing"
> environment :( I tried so many things that I dont remember what I tried and
> I still dont recieve any notifications :)
>
> Id love to get some advice.

It shouldn't be hard.

First of all, consider that syncope-vm is a shared demo environment with
no access to SMTP, hence you cannot expect any message from there.

The simplest path to achieve what you need is to:

1. download [1] and run [2] the standalone distribution
2. adjust [3] mail.properties with a working SMTP server of yours - such
file is located under
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/syncope/WEB-INF/classes/mail.propperties
3. restart Tomcat in the standalone distribution

At this point you have an environment identical to syncope-vm but with
ability of actual message delivery, if step (2) above was performed
correctly.

HTH
Regards.

[1]
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua/syncope/2.1.4/syncope-standalone-2.1.4-distribution.zip
[2] http://syncope.apache.org/docs/2.1/getting-started.html#standalone
[3]
http://syncope.apache.org/docs/2.1/reference-guide.html#e-mail-configuration

Posted by Jan <ja...@skylab.cz>.
Well, got to it just now.

Im probably just retarded, but I seem to need to configure an LDAP connector
between the Enduser and Admin console - am I right? :)

Posted by ilgrosso <il...@apache.org>.
Jan wrote
> The post I made probably wasnt clear enough. The end user can change their
> password, groups, rosources etc...  The changes the end user does is seen
> in
> the admin console.
>
> What I basically need is, that the end user changes the stuff he needs,
> this
> gives me a notification in my admin console, where I will be making the
> changes after checking them.

Hi,
as admin, do you only want a notification of user self-made changes? This is
not possible by default, it requires some customization.

What can be achieved OOTB with Flowable is instead to subject user
self-update via EndUser UI to admin approval.

Some example of such a feature is shown by the demo configuration; log in as
bellini / password in

http://syncope-vm.apache.org:9080/syncope-enduser/

then go to Groups and add 'groupForWorkflowApproval', then click Finish,
input the CAPTCHA and click Save.

Now, if you log in

http://syncope-vm.apache.org:9080/syncope-console/

as admin, you will notice that the handshake top icon has 1 notification
available, and if you click on "View all forms" you will see that there are
some pending changes to approve.

HTH
Regards.

Posted by Jan <ja...@skylab.cz>.
Thanks a lot guys :) Ill take a look at it.

Posted by Andrea Patricelli <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Jan,

ok now I understood your need.

In Syncope user's lifecycle (also groups and any objects) is leveraged
by a workflow, managed by the workflow layer. Besides the default
workflow implementation [1] you can configure Syncope to use Flowable
BPMN engine; thus configure a BPMN workflow definition that fits your
needs (go to approval on user self update). Please take a look at [2].

Take a look at [3] to have an idea of workflow definition with approval
steps. For example if you run Syncope in embedded mode [4] and try to
update a sample user (say puccini) by adding a group from enduser, you
can see an approval request in console (accessible from shaking hands icon).

HTH,
Andrea

[1]
https://github.com/apache/syncope/blob/2_1_X/core/workflow-java/src/main/java/org/apache/syncope/core/workflow/java/DefaultUserWorkflowAdapter.java
[2] https://syncope.apache.org/docs/2.1/reference-guide.html#workflow-layer

[3]
https://github.com/apache/syncope/blob/2_1_X/ext/flowable/flowable-bpmn/src/main/resources/userWorkflow.bpmn20.xml
[4] http://syncope.apache.org/docs/getting-started.html#embedded-mode

Il 13/06/19 14:05, Jan ha scritto:
> The post I made probably wasnt clear enough. The end user can change their
> password, groups, rosources etc...  The changes the end user does is seen in
> the admin console.
>
> What I basically need is, that the end user changes the stuff he needs, this
> gives me a notification in my admin console, where I will be making the
> changes after checking them.
>
> Thank you
>
> --
> Sent from: http://syncope-user.1051894.n5.nabble.com/

--
Dott. Andrea Patricelli
Tel. +39 3204524292

Engineer @ Tirasa S.r.l.
Viale Vittoria Colonna 97 - 65127 Pescara
Tel +39 0859116307 / FAX +39 0859111173
http://www.tirasa.net

Apache Syncope PMC Member

Re: New to Syncope - send notifications from user to admin

Posted by Jan <ja...@skylab.cz>.
Dear Andrea.

As you suggested, I updated the version to 2.1.5. The problem is still
there. I try to reset the password in the end user interface, this gives me
a green light in the top right corner (success). But when i login to the
admin console, there is no notification in the shaking hands :(

Any Idea how to setup or diagnose this problem? I didnt see any problems in
the logs (the thing is that im a bit of a noob :) )

thank you very much again.

Posted by Andrea Patricelli <an...@apache.org>.
Hi,

please read my responses inline.

Il 10/06/19 15:14, Jan ha scritto:
> Dear Syncope,
>
> I am new to Syncope and Im trying to get it working as an end-user
> governance system. Ill just try to post a model situation how I would like
> it to work :-) Is it even possible?
>
> 1) I am the admin, who would work in the admin console (I already have a
> fully functional AD connector, with push pull commands - Ive got all the
> users from the AD in Syncope) All the governance would be made here
Nice, this step is not trivial :)

> 2) One of the HR employees would like to send me a notification through
> syncope to create an account: John Smith, which department he is located in,
> which data storage he should have access to.
>
> 3) This notification would be recieved in both Syncope and my mailbox, I
> would just create the account in syncope, set the priviledges and push it
> into AD
>
> Here are a few problems that I encountered:
>
> So far I got my end user registering module working with a security
> question. Right now I can create new users through the syncope enduser
> system
>
> <http://syncope-user.1051894.n5.nabble.com/file/t339126/syncope_enduser.png>
>
> The biggest problem is, that I cannot login via the end-user login screen,
> so I have no idea what I can do there :) See picture below. All I can do is
> keep clicking next next and when I click finish, nothing happens
> The same goes with password reset. I can click on password reset, enter
> security question, Syncope tells me that "user xxxxxx has been successfully
> updated" - I have no Idea what was updated, because the old password heeps
> working.
>
> <http://syncope-user.1051894.n5.nabble.com/file/t339126/enduser_syncope2.png>
>
> If anyone would help me, I would be extremely grateful :)

 From the screenshots I see that you're using 2.1 version. If you're
using User Requests please consider to use latest snapshot version
2.1.5-SNAPSHOT since some bugfixes and improvements have been made in [1].

What happens on Syncope depends on the workflow that you're using.
Basically you receive the "green notification" on user create and
password reset this means that enduser successfully sent the request to
Syncope core.
Logging to console as admin, do you see any request in the top right bar
(shaking hands icon)? What is the status of the user created through the
enduser?
Did you check logs of the application? I suggest to you to check for
errors in core.log, core-persistence.log, core-rest.log and
core-connid.log.

Best regards,
Andrea

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SYNCOPE/issues/SYNCOPE-1462