Posted to soap-dev@ws.apache.org by "Francisco Jr." <fx...@solar.com.br> on 2000/10/13 01:53:49 UTC

What about Elliptic Curves Cryptography?

Hi all,
I'm very excited about all this momentum about SecureSOAP. As George said, its very important to have it
working in the open Internet. You all are doing a great work! I like very much SOAP.

Well, to give more momentum to all this, I suggest we take a good look at Elliptic Curves Cryptography. I
didn't see any comments on this here. Compatibility with existing PK systems is a must, of course, but I
think that it could add a great value to SecureSOAP.

I know its in the very early stage of development, but I think we should try. Take a look at
www.cryptix.org, they have a very good Cryptography toolkit for Elliptic Curves

They also have a very mature toolkit: Cryptix 3. ( For Cryptography folks: they already implemented
Rijndael (http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/~rijmen/rijndael/) - a block cipher algorithm winner of
Advanced Encription Standard Contest  )
It is free for COMMERCIAL and NON-COMMERCIAL use, I think this is relevant. Sorry for capitals :)

I'm sorry if I'm doing some type of marketing. This is not my intention. Please let me know if I'm wrong.
Sorry if this was already discussed!

Please send your comments too!

Thanks.

---------------------
Francisco Jr.
fxjr@solar.com.br

Re: What about Elliptic Curves Cryptography?

Posted by Bruce Lowenthal <bl...@us.oracle.com>.
Francisco:

I believe that TSL (the new version of SSL provided by mod_ssl, etc)
includes Elyptic Curve cipher suites.

Would that be adequate for your purposes for SOAP?

Regarding Ellyptic Curve: Why do you think this would add great
value to SOAP?  Regular RSA should be just as good except
for key length which should not really matter.  Note also the fact
that RSA has stood the test of time longer (making RSA a
better risk from most points of view).

Bruce

Posted by Bruce Lowenthal <bl...@us.oracle.com>.
Francisco: