Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Christian Roth <ro...@visualclick.de> on 2004/10/07 19:22:44 UTC

How to serialize intermediary XML files for debugging?

Hi,

I'm working on customizing skins and behaviours regarding menu/tab/
content creation for my site.

Is there a pre-configured option to have the intermediary files on which
e.g. book2menu.xsl, tab2menu.xsl and document2html.xsl operate serialized
to a file so that I can use a simple, standalone XSLT debugger to check
what my stylesheets are doing outside of the complex Cocoon framework?

If there isn't, it would be nice if someone could point me in the right
direction on what to modify to have intermediary results be serialized.
Modify somehow Cocoon's pipelines by adding serialize steps? How to get
them to still operate as normal on the following steps? I'm a little
clueless here...

Thanks,
Christian

Re: How to serialize intermediary XML files for debugging?

Posted by Christian Roth <ro...@visualclick.de>.
Johannes Schaefer wrote:

>Some of the intermediate results you can get by putting
>the follwing URLs into your browser
>(your soucefile is mysource.xml; supposes 'forrest run').
>http://localhost:8888/mysource.html  -- the final HTML
>http://localhost:8888/mysource.xml   -- the original XML (or is it the
>XML already in doc-format?)
>http://localhost:8888/mysource.fo    -- FO file for PDF output
>.../tab-mysource.html -- the tabs
>.../menu-mysource.html -- the menu
>.../body-mysource.html -- the body of your page

Thanks, this helped a lot in understanding the underlying Cocoon better!

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Johannes Schaefer wrote:
> Some of the intermediate results you can get by putting
> the follwing URLs into your browser
> (your soucefile is mysource.xml; supposes 'forrest run').
> http://localhost:8888/mysource.html  -- the final HTML
> http://localhost:8888/mysource.xml   -- the original XML (or is it the
> XML already in doc-format?)

It is the intermediate xml stream. Depends on the
sitemap pipeline that was followed. It might come
directly from the source xml, or it might have been
transformed from some other format.

> http://localhost:8888/mysource.fo    -- FO file for PDF output
> .../tab-mysource.html -- the tabs
> .../menu-mysource.html -- the menu
> .../body-mysource.html -- the body of your page
> Most of it is html, but there maybe more, see
> http://forrest.apache.org/docs/sitemap-ref.html
>
> We used this a lot for FO debugging. Maybe you'll have to
> define intermediate results for XML as Dave said.

Or use "Cocoon views" as Dave also said.

--
David Crossley

Re: How to serialize intermediary XML files for debugging?

Posted by Johannes Schaefer <jo...@uidesign.de>.
Dave Brondsema wrote:

> Christian Roth wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm working on customizing skins and behaviours regarding menu/tab/
>> content creation for my site.
>>
>> Is there a pre-configured option to have the intermediary files on which
>> e.g. book2menu.xsl, tab2menu.xsl and document2html.xsl operate
>> serialized
>> to a file so that I can use a simple, standalone XSLT debugger to check
>> what my stylesheets are doing outside of the complex Cocoon framework?
>>
>> If there isn't, it would be nice if someone could point me in the right
>> direction on what to modify to have intermediary results be serialized.
>> Modify somehow Cocoon's pipelines by adding serialize steps? How to get
>> them to still operate as normal on the following steps? I'm a little
>> clueless here...
>>

> This should have gone to the dev@f.a.o list.
>
> Have you read
> http://forrest.apache.org/docs/sitemap-ref.html#intermediate_pipelines?
>
> Also, you can modify the cocoon sitemaps so that they match on
> something special and will serialize the intermediate step there.
> Cocoon also have "views" which we currently don't take advantage of.

Some of the intermediate results you can get by putting
the follwing URLs into your browser
(your soucefile is mysource.xml; supposes 'forrest run').
http://localhost:8888/mysource.html  -- the final HTML
http://localhost:8888/mysource.xml   -- the original XML (or is it the
XML already in doc-format?)
http://localhost:8888/mysource.fo    -- FO file for PDF output
.../tab-mysource.html -- the tabs
.../menu-mysource.html -- the menu
.../body-mysource.html -- the body of your page
Most of it is html, but there maybe more, see
http://forrest.apache.org/docs/sitemap-ref.html

We used this a lot for FO debugging. Maybe you'll have to
define intermediate results for XML as Dave said.

Johannes

Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Geschäftsstelle: User Interface Design GmbH * Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 * D-81825 München
www.uidesign.de

Re: How to serialize intermediary XML files for debugging?

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.

Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming
http://csx.calvin.edu : student org