Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Kevin Hammond <kh...@home.com> on 2001/11/05 16:37:31 UTC

Renaming of Menu Items

I think we should rename some of the menu items because of inconsistencies
("Web" versus "URL" versus "HTTP") and some confusion.  I feel this must be
cleaned up before release 1.7. Otherwise, the documentation I am writing is
going to take more time because I have to explain in it how to interpret our
menu item names.  Please vote.  I am, of course, voting +1.

I would also like to partition the "configuration elements" and "listner"
menus.  Because each element is added dynamically, the order of the menu
items is really ugly.  Can we "tag" each element as belonging to a category.
Each category would be separated by a menu item separator (horizontal line).
When adding the menu items, the code would insert each item in the correct
place.  We really have the clean up these menus guys.

Questions/Comments:

*********** Config Element Menu ***********
(For a graphical look at the proposed menu, see the attached GIF.)

[Topic: HTTP]
1. Change "Web Testing" to "HTTP Request".
The word "testing" implies .... And, the word "Web" is to generic.  Let's
call it what it really is, it's an HTTP Request.

2. Remove "Url Sample" and Change "Multipart-Form Sample" to "HTTP Request
Defaults".
The word "sample" has too many meanings.  In this case, I assumed "sample"
meant to ...

3. Change "Cookie Manager" to "HTTP Cookie Manager".

4. Change "Header Manager" to "HTTP Header Manager".

[Topic: DATABASE]
1. Change "Database Testing" to "JDBC Request".

2. For testing JDBC, why did we separate its configuration elements
(Database Login, Database Connection Pool, SQL Query). In HTTP and FTP
testing, we did not separate the config elements.  This is inconsistent.
Can anyone explain the reason for separating the JDBC elements?  I would
like to create just a single "JDBC Request Defaults" config element and
remove the individual ones.

[Topic: FTP]
1. Change "FTP Testing" to "FTP Request".

2. Change "FTP Sample" to "FTP Request Defaults".

*********** Listener Menu ***********

(will email you guys later today)

Thanks,
Kevin Hammond

Posted by Jonathan O'Keeffe <jo...@mediaone.net>.
Not sure whether it counts or not, because I am not a committer, but I
would also vote +1 on the re-order and re-structure of the menu items.  In
my experience, the weakness of dynamically generating GUI items like these
menu elements is that the programmer sacrifices control over the details of
the program's look-and-feel.  The system that JMeter uses for dynamically
generating GUI elements is very effective, because it allows new elements
to be added without any GUI programming at all, but with just a little
extra work it could be extended to also allow control over the appearance.

Kevin, I'd suggest that in addition to adding "categories" for menu items,
that we also add some sort of specifier for sort order, so that we're not
locked into an alphabetical listing within each category.  The main
motivation for this is to make sure that "HTTP Request" (which is probably
by far the most widely-used item) appears at the top of the list regardless
of where it falls alphabetically.

- Jonathan

> The UrlSample in your Threadgroup doesn't represent a test case - it
> represents configuration information.  Here's what should happen:
>
> Say you have a Web Test under the Threadgroup, but the "domain" field is
> left blank.  You also add a UrlSample element to the threadgroup, and
fill
> in only the "domain" field.  When you test, only the Web Test sample gets
> tested, but its domain field is filled in using the bare UrlSample
element.
> Why, you ask?  This would allow one to make a long and involved test
script,
> and make it portable between servers with only a single change to the
> UrlSample element.  All Config Elements work this way (its why you add a
> CookieManager to the threadgroup and not to individual controllers).
>
> -Mike

(See attached file: new-config-element-menu.gif)