Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Adam Monsen <ha...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/03 21:11:33 UTC

question on making a new module from a subdirectory of an existing one

Is it possible to make part of an existing module into a completely
independent module while preserving history?

For instance, say I have one repository: /usr/local/pim. 'pim' has the
sub directories /usr/local/pim/calendar and /usr/local/pim/clock. Is
there a way to create /usr/local/calendar and /usr/local/clock as new,
independent modules (with their own global revision numbers), while
preserving history created from when these source trees were contained
within /usr/local/pim?

--
Adam Monsen
http://adammonsen.com/

Re: question on making a new module from a subdirectory of an existing one

Posted by Adam Monsen <ha...@gmail.com>.
On 6/3/05, Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> wrote:
[...]
> I'm not sure what you mean by "independent modules"... do you mean,
> "put the projects into separate repositories"?

Yes, basically, what I meant was break up one repository into separate
repositories.

> If so, then yes, you can 'svnadmin dump' the repository, then use
> 'svndumpfilter' and 'svnadmin load' to load the sub-project's
> histories into independent repositories.  See chapter 5 in the book.

Excellent. Thank you! That seems like exactly what I want.

Posted by Adam Monsen <ha...@gmail.com>.
On 6/3/05, Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> wrote:
[...]
> If so, then yes, you can 'svnadmin dump' the repository, then use
> 'svndumpfilter' and 'svnadmin load' to load the sub-project's
> histories into independent repositories.  See chapter 5 in the book.

I'm running into a problem with this, and I wonder if there's already
a bug filed. I wasn't able to find a bug report, but it seems like
it's been mentioned before on the dev mailing list.

The error I'm encountering looks like this when I attempt to use
svndumpfilter on a repository dump. First, I dump the repository:

----------------------8<----------------------
$ svnadmin dump /home/adamm/svn/my_root > dumpfile
* Dumped revision 1.
* Dumped revision 1731.
---------------------->8----------------------

Then I try to filter the dumpfile:

----------------------8<----------------------
$ cat dumpfile | svndumpfilter include \
> trunk/personal/code/c++/quizmo \
> --drop-empty-revs --renumber-revs > quizmo.dump
Including (and dropping empty revisions for) prefixes:
   '/trunk/personal/code/c++/quizmo'

Revision 0 committed as 0.
Revision 1 skipped.
Revision 2 skipped.
Revision 1717 skipped.
svn: Invalid copy source path '/trunk/personal/code/c++/quizbot'

(Note: the quizbot directory was renamed to quizmo)

This problem was mentioned here (repro steps included):
http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2004-11/1094.shtml

and briefly here, though this post might not be as relevant:
http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2004-11/0805.shtml

Is there a fix for this, or do you have any idea if there is a way for
me to manually edit the dumpfile and somehow work around this bug?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.