Posted to users@continuum.apache.org by "Morgovsky, Alexander (US - Glen Mills)" <am...@deloitte.com> on 2007/09/07 15:46:51 UTC

Connecting to the Continuum Derby Database

I started the Derby Database server on the Continuum machine.  It is
listening on port 1527.  In my JSP page deployed on an Application
Server on another machine in the same network I have the code:

Connection connection =
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby://<Continuum IP>:1527/<Continuum
File System Database");

However, upon accessing the JSP page I receive:

java.sql.SQLException: java.net.ConnectException : Error connecting to
server <ip> on port 1527 with message Connection refused: connect.

What is the proper Java process for connecting to the Continuum Derby
Database?  Should I pass in a username/password?  If so, should these be
the Continuum admin username/password?

I am using Continuum 1.1-alpha-2.

Thank you.

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message.

Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited. [v.E.1]

RE: Connecting to the Continuum Derby Database

Posted by "Krishnaiah, Shankar" <Sh...@Travelex.com>.
Hope this helps:

Continuum - SQuirreL SQL Client

continuum uses embedded derby database.
This database only allows one connection at a time, so you need to stop the continuum server before you can connect with an SQL client.
Ensure the continuum server is stopped if you want to attempt to run the SQL client below
We have also installed SquirrelSQL under C:\Tools\SQuirreL SQL Client which should connect to the derby database. If you go to this directory and fire up squirrel via the squirrel-sql.bat file you should connect to the continuum database.

Here are the connection details

Aliase Name : Continuum
User :sa
Password : * just leave blank*
Driver : Apache Derby Embedded ( see below how to configure driver details)

Make sure "AutoLogon" and "Connect at Startup" checked.
Configuring Driver details

Driver Name : Apache Derby Embedded

By default the following java classpath will be loaded
Java Classpath:

C:\Tools\SQuirreL SQL Client\squirrel-sql.jar
C:\Tools\SQuirreL SQL Client\lib\commons-cli.jar
C:\Tools\SQuirreL SQL Client\lib\forms.jar
C:\Tools\SQuirreL SQL Client\lib\fw.jar
C:\Tools\SQuirreL SQL Client\lib\log4j.jar
C:\Tools\SQuirreL SQL Client\lib\nanoxml-2.1.jar
C:\Tools\jdepend-2.9.1\lib\jdepend-2.9.1.jar
C:\Tools\grinder-2.8.6\lib\grinder.jar

You need to add these two extra classpath. First download derby database.

Extra Classpath

<derby_home>\lib\derby.jar
<derby_home>\lib\derbyclient.jar

ClassName: org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver

Regards,
Shankar

Posted by "Morgovsky, Alexander (US - Glen Mills)" <am...@deloitte.com>.

--
Olivier

Posted by "Morgovsky, Alexander (US - Glen Mills)" <am...@deloitte.com>.

Posted by "Morgovsky, Alexander (US - Glen Mills)" <am...@deloitte.com>.
Sure.

Posted by "Morgovsky, Alexander (US - Glen Mills)" <am...@deloitte.com>.
I am trying to create some reporting pages which show statistics of
number of builds per project, elapsed build times, average build times,
and other similar information.  Thank you.

> the username is 'sa' with an empty password.

I knew I wrote this down somewhere.  Here's a page talking about
Archiva and Derby Network Server.  It should be easily adaptable to
Continuum.
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Archiva+User+DB+on+Derby+Netw
ork+Server

> Just for my information, what do you try to do with your jsp?

Also curious.  Continuum needs some "reporting" but I'm waiting for
actual requests to come in before I start guessing what people need.

--
Wendy

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Posted by "Morgovsky, Alexander (US - Glen Mills)" <am...@deloitte.com>.
Thank you for your help.  I was successfully able to have Continuum
connect to the Derby Network Server.  After looking at the database
results, I have a question.

In the BUILDRESULT table, there is a column PROJECT_ID_OID.  What table
should I query to map this field to the name of the artifact of the
project?  In a sense, I want to find how to relate the PROJECT_ID_OID to
the actual name of the project.

Thanks.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Morgovsky, Alexander (US - Glen Mills)" <am...@deloitte.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

<am...@deloitte.com> wrote:

> Is there a way where I could connect to the Continuum DB while
Continuum
> is running?

If you are using the embedded Derby that Continuum uses by default, then
no.

But your earlier messages indicate you're using Derby Network Server,
which can handle multiple connections.

--
Wendy

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Morgovsky, Alexander (US - Glen Mills)" <am...@deloitte.com>.

Posted by Nick Stolwijk <ni...@planet.nl>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 9/7/07, Morgovsky, Alexander (US - Glen Mills)
<am...@deloitte.com> wrote:

> I started the Derby Database server on the Continuum machine.  It is
> listening on port 1527.  In my JSP page deployed on an Application
> Server on another machine in the same network I have the code:
>
> Connection connection =
> DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby://<Continuum IP>:1527/<Continuum
> File System Database");
>
> However, upon accessing the JSP page I receive:
>
> java.sql.SQLException: java.net.ConnectException : Error connecting to
> server <ip> on port 1527 with message Connection refused: connect.

>From playing with this a bit in the past, I remember that by default
the Derby Network Server only allows connections from the same machine
it's running on.  You'll need to configure it to allow external
connections.

Google turned up this:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/adminguide/cadminnetservsecurity.html

The Derby mailing list can probably help with related questions;
subscription info is here:  http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_mail.html

--
Wendy