Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/09/20 18:13:32 UTC

DBCP should not be writing messages to stderr or stdout

> DBCP should not be writing messages to stderr or stdout
> dirk.verbeeck@pandora.be changed:
>          Resolution|                            |WONTFIX

> Like Shankar said, we should only add a dependency on a logging
> package if really needed.

> We could consider making more use of the logwriter on the datasource.

This should still be fixed.  As you say, at the least make more use of the
logwriter.  In the James code, I use an adapter subclass that bridges to
Avalon LogKit.  The default in BasicDataSource is System.out, anyway.

DBCP is used in server applications.  Logging is important.  The reason why
so many logging packages appeared is because logging wasn't part of Java
from the beginning, and it IS important.

I ought not have to call System.setOut / System.setErr() in order to get
output logged.  That would be a bad idea, anyway, without knowing that the
logging code doesn't use one of them to record a logging emergency.

	--- Noel