Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Matt Davies <ma...@mattdavies.net> on 2015/03/09 18:01:11 UTC

Forcing kerberos principals to lowercase

Hey everyone,

I have a situation where case sensitivity of principals is causing some
pains. Here's the set up

AD
Centrify (Centrify.com)
hadoop on RHEL

The logins to the cluster are all using LDAP/PAM . When I do something like
"id" then it returns the lowercase version of the user.  "env" return the
upper case version

for example
id
uid=1234(user1234)

env | grep USER_PRIN
USER_PRINCIPAL_NAME=USER1234@REALM

When the user1234 tries to write to hdfs with a home directory of
/user/user1234 I receive a permission error.  If I create it as
/user/USER1234 then it behaves correctly.

If I were to just push a file to HDFS /tmp it looks like
-rw-r--r--    3 USER1234    hdfs     1234  2005-03-07 15:34 /tmp/file

To make matters a little more complicated some usernames are mixed case so
either upper or lower is not sufficient.  I just want to force to a lower
case user.

So, my question is  this: Is there a way to tell the kerberos setup in HDFS
to force lowercase users (matching what linux does) so that the admins do
not go crazy figuring out silly things like case?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Forcing kerberos principals to lowercase

Posted by Matt Davies <ma...@mattdavies.net>.
Sorry - I forgot to mention that I've seen the configuration with Hue, but
I want plain CLI access to work.

-Matt

Posted by Matt Davies <ma...@mattdavies.net>.

Posted by Matt Davies <ma...@mattdavies.net>.