Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Giovanni Formenti <fo...@ariadne.it> on 2003/05/14 17:47:58 UTC

JOTM

Anyone use JOTM or other JTA products?
Gio

Re: JOTM

Posted by Jeff Mesnil <Je...@inrialpes.fr>.
Hi,

> But i don't understand something: to use JTA i can implement JTS or i must
> use JOTM in my project
> This because i'm trying to use only java libraries and less as possible
> third part library...
>
> Can u explain me the differences between JTS and JOTM?

To sum up:
o JTA is an API which provides Transaction support to your application
o JTS is a Java mapping to OTS, the CORBA Transaction Service, which
   provides Transaction interoperability and is never directly called
   from applications.
o JOTM provides an implementation of JTA and partially supports JTS.

So, in your application, you'll use only JTA interfaces and you never
import JOTM classes.
Then, at runtime, JOTM will provides you the JTA implementation that you
get from JNDI ("java:comp/UserTransaction").

Of course, if you switch from JOTM to another JTA transaction manager, your
application code remains the same.

In fact, it's the same thing than for JDBC: you use JDBC interfaces
and not database specific classes. So that you can switch to another
DB without modifying your application code.

hope it helps,
jeff

--
Jeff Mesnil	INRIA - ObjectWeb Consortium
JOTM project leader
email: jmesnil at inrialpes.fr
homepage: http://sardes.inrialpes.fr/people/jmesnil/perso.html

Re: JOTM

Posted by Giovanni Formenti <fo...@ariadne.it>.
Hi,
i'm trying to use JOTM... :)

But i don't understand something: to use JTA i can implement JTS or i must
use JOTM in my project?
This because i'm trying to use only java libraries and less as possible
third part library...

Can u explain me the differences between JTS and JOTM?

Thanx for ur patience!
Giovanni

Posted by Jeff Mesnil <Je...@inrialpes.fr>.
Hi,

Giovanni Formenti wrote:
> Anyone use JOTM or other JTA products?

Since I'm JOTM project leader, I may be a little biased
to recommend it! ;-)

JOTM is used by OFBiz[1] and they seem happy about it[2].
It is also integrated in latest release of Jetty[3] to
provide transaction support to JSP/Servlets (see JettyPlus[4]).

JOTM is a young project with a small but dedicated open source
community which is particularly interested to provide Transaction
support to JSP/Servlets in a lightweight way (without a huge J2EE server)

hope it helps,
jeff

[1] http://www.ofbiz.org/
[2] http://jotm.objectweb.org/success.html