Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Muthukumar Arasu <tm...@hotmail.com> on 2006/02/15 03:19:45 UTC

FTP of files with non english file names

I wrote a program to use commons-net to transfer files and it works well for
all files with just english characters in it. When I used the program to
transfer a file with chinese characters in its name, it puts the file in the
target machine but totally creates a garabge file name at the target
machine. (For example if I put ~!@123.txt (here ~!@ assume are some chinese
characters) then in the server it 1shows up something like ??123.txt. If i
programatically retrive the file as get ~!@123.txt, then it is able to
retrieve it back.  I think the API translates the characterset into some
other characters which it is able to understand on both way file transfers.

If I use the OS command line FTP to get ~!@123.txt then it fails, because
the file ??123.txt is only present at the target location.

Could anyone clarify on how to do file transfers using FTPClient with non
english character set?

Thanks

[Help] FTP of files with non english file names

Posted by Muthukumar Arasu <tm...@hotmail.com>.
I was able to narrow down the problem to storeFile and retrieveFile methods
in FTPClient, where one have to give the remote file name as a String. In my
case they are Chinese characters (GB18030) which gets garbled up at the
target machine. How should I pass such characters to these methods. Any help
would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kumar