Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/18 15:30:45 UTC

[ALL] SHA-1 vs. SHA-256

Hi All:

Eclipse is moving to SHA-256 to validate downloads [1] alongside MD5.

We just updated to SHA-1 which apparently has been subject to a collision
attack [2].

Our newish commons-release-plugin has just been updated to SHA-1.

I'd like to add SHA-256 alongside SHA-1.

Thoughts?

[1]
https://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/news/4.8/platform_isv.php#equinox-sha-256-checksum
[2]
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/02/at-deaths-door-for-years-widely-used-sha1-function-is-now-dead/

Re: [ALL] SHA-1 vs. SHA-256

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 9:56 AM, Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On May 18, 2018, at 11:42 AM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> collision

> >> Does Nexus support SHA-256?
> >>
> >> ISTR that there were some issues with it.
> >>

> > Hard to say without trying:
> > - No: https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/NEXUS-5881
> > - Yes:
> > https://books.sonatype.com/nexus-book/3.4/reference/
> using.html#_search_criteria_and_component_attributes
> >
> > _But_, it would be a start to include SHA-256 in VOTE emails, which I am
> > working on with Rob to generate based on a template.
> >
> > That would give RC reviewers the opportunity to validate RC downloads
> from
> > dist with SHA-1 or SHA-256.
>
> If it’s only the release artifacts (tars/zips), that’s easy. If it’s the
> “convenience artifacts,” then I’m not sure. I think maven or nexus
> generates those under the hood which gives us less control.

I'll just make the release plugin generate a sha256.properties file like we
do a sha1.properties file. Let's leave Nexus aside for now...

Gary

Re: [ALL] SHA-1 vs. SHA-256

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: [ALL] SHA-1 vs. SHA-256

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: [ALL] SHA-1 vs. SHA-256

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [ALL] SHA-1 vs. SHA-256

Posted by ajs6f <aj...@apache.org>.
+1

ajs6f

Re: [ALL] SHA-1 vs. SHA-256

Re: [ALL] SHA-1 vs. SHA-256

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 6:38 AM, ajs6f <aj...@apache.org> wrote:

> > On May 19, 2018, at 5:34 AM, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:
> > On 18/05/2018 17:30, Gary Gregory wrote:
> >
> >> Thoughts?
> >
> > I wouldn't bother. The checksum is just there to ensure the download
> worked properly, and for this even md5 is fine.
> >
> > The authenticity of the artifacts is ensured by the GPG signatures.
> >
> > Emmanuel Bourg
>
> True, but there's a considerable portion of users who check the checksums
> and nothing else.

The Commons release plugin in git master now has a goal that generates a
target/VOTE.txt file which includes both SHA-1 and SHA-256 hashes.

Gary

Re: [ALL] SHA-1 vs. SHA-256

Posted by ajs6f <aj...@apache.org>.

Re: [ALL] SHA-1 vs. SHA-256