Posted to users@sling.apache.org by "Rudolph, Dirk" <Di...@t-systems.com> on 2013/05/29 12:22:51 UTC

Best practise of deploying bundles during development

Hi all,

what ist he best way deploying bundles during development? In our project we have two possibilities. On the one hand building a content package that is deployed including all bundles and on the other hand we use the maven-sling-plugin to install bundles directly to the webconsole. Using both at the same time causes errors sometimes (like service configuration bound to wrong service due to changing Bundle-Locations, ...).

Additionally I mentioned that the last released version of the maven-sling-plugin depends on the old sling 2.0 API. Is there a new release planned for the current API version?

Thanks a lot,

Dirk Rudolph

T-Systems Multimedia Solutions GmbH
Organisationseinheit CCS
Dirk Rudolph
Software-Entwicklung, OCJP

Hausanschrift: Riesaer Straße 5, 01129 Dresden
Postanschrift: Postfach 10 02 24, 01072 Dresden
+49 351 2820-5363       (Tel)
E-Mail: Dirk.Rudolph@t-systems.com <ma...@t-systems-mms.com>
Internet: http://www.t-systems-mms.com <http://www.t-systems-mms.de/>

T-Systems Multimedia Solutions GmbH

Aufsichtsrat: Klaus Werner (Vorsitzender)
Geschäftsführung: Peter Klingenburg, Dr. Jens Nebendahl
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dresden HRB 11433
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Dresden
Ust-IdNr.: DE 811 807 949

AW: Best practise of deploying bundles during development

Posted by "Rudolph, Dirk" <Di...@t-systems.com>.
Thanks a lot for your response. We now work with put instead of post for single bundles and using content packages created using default zip packaging to create a content package for the whole project. I will have a look at the suggested plugin.

Thanks again,

Dirk

In my opinion the best option is to always install through the repository, either through a content package as you indicated, or by doing a PUT of the bundle directly to its location in the repository using Sling. Also check out http://adamcin.net/vltpack-maven-plugin/index.html - its a maven plugin that will automate a lot of this for you.

Paul McMahon
Acquity Group

________________________________

Re: Best practise of deploying bundles during development

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Hi,

you can use one of the mentioned solutions in this thread, I personally
prefer posting to the web console (the default of the Sling maven plugin)
as this provides the fastest turnaround during development.

If this results in problems on your installation, like unbound
configurations, then there is something else wrong - posting to the web
console does a bundle update - basically the same as the OSGi installer
does if you put it into the repository. And in this case bundle location
isn't changed and configs should still be bound.

Regards
Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Best practise of deploying bundles during development

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi,

> what ist he best way deploying bundles during development? In our project we have two possibilities. On the one hand building a content package that is deployed including all bundles and on the other hand we use the maven-sling-plugin to install bundles directly to the webconsole. Using both at the same time causes errors sometimes (like service configuration bound to wrong service due to changing Bundle-Locations, ...).

See the usePut parameter of the sling-maven-plugin [1] . This makes
the sling plugin install files to the repository instead of POSTing to
the web console. You should also configure the slingUrlSuffix to match
the typical location of your jar in the content package, e.g.
/apps/company/project/install .

Robert

[1]: http://sling.apache.org/site/sling.html#Sling-install