Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Benjamin Tomasini <bt...@neteverything.com> on 2003/05/16 20:22:28 UTC

Re: HTTP Keep-Alive ?

My guess is that the best solution is to run Axis in a servlet
container.

I that case, the transport details are handled therein.

Is there http 1.0 / 1.1 specific code in Axis?  I would be curious to
know myself.

I know that some containers, such as Resin, have had keep alive issues
with SSL in *old* versions - fixed months ago.

Re: HTTP Keep-Alive ?

Posted by James Waldrop <su...@well.com>.
Benjamin Tomasini wrote:
> The keep-alive involves both client and server issues.  If the client
> requests HTTP 1.0, the server will default there.  If the client
> requests HTTP 1.1, then the server will most likely operate in that
> mode.  It is possible to force the server to operate in HTTP 1.0, in
> which case the response header will indicate this, and the client is
> expected to continue in that mode as well.

My point is that I'm using Axis on the client. (This is why Axis has
HTTP code I'd assume, independent of any server-side issues -- it has to
support HTTP as a transport, both server-side *and* client.)

How would I tell Axis to request HTTP 1.1 and set the Keep-Alive option?
Back to my original question, is this even possible? I don't believe the
server can tell the client to use HTTP 1.1, it's up to the client to say
which type of message they're sending.

james

Re: HTTP Keep-Alive ?

Posted by Benjamin Tomasini <bt...@neteverything.com>.
On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 15:38, James Waldrop wrote:
> There's HTTP code in org/apache/axis/transport/http, a fair amount of
> it, including some stuff from Jakarta Commons.

But does the code involve HTTP 1.0 versus 1.1, or low level stuff such
as open and closing sockets (keep-alive) issues.

> It's not clear to me how I could do this with just a server-side
> solution, since the Keep-Alive header is a client-side message. Am I
> missing something obvious here? :)

Like many things client / server, it involves a negotiation.  So both
are involved.

The keep-alive involves both client and server issues.  If the client
requests HTTP 1.0, the server will default there.  If the client
requests HTTP 1.1, then the server will most likely operate in that
mode.  It is possible to force the server to operate in HTTP 1.0, in
which case the response header will indicate this, and the client is
expected to continue in that mode as well.

The reason why HTTP servers are so complex is because of these issues.

Re: HTTP Keep-Alive ?

Posted by James Waldrop <su...@well.com>.