Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jumbo <ju...@comcast.net> on 2007/02/15 02:07:24 UTC

[users@httpd] require directives present and no Authoritative handler

I am running Apache version 2.2.4.   Having fun too thanks.

Currently have a simple setup - HTTP and SSL are working properly.

I added basic authentication and i seem to be stuck with
the error in the subject.

.htaccess contains
    AuthName "stuf"
    AuthType Basic
    AuthUserFile /http/conf/theusers
    require valid-users

httpd prompts for the username/password and when a valid user
is entered i get the error listed the subject in the error.logs.

Invalid users get 'user not found'.   So, it makes the
determination between valid and invalid users.  Just does
not seem to recognize a valid user/pass combo.

I read the Nov, 2006 email and response regarding the error msg.
Not sure that i need this link, I am using FC6.

httpd -l  lists mod_auth_basic but not mod_auth itself.
could that be the problem???

i am sifting through the setup one more time -
anyone run into this before?

thanks.

Re: [users@httpd] require directives present and no Authoritative handler

Posted by Jumbo <ju...@comcast.net>.
doh!

s/users/user/    did the trick!

thanks...   on to the next feature

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On 2/15/07, Jumbo <ju...@comcast.net> wrote:
> I am running Apache version 2.2.4.   Having fun too thanks.
>
> Currently have a simple setup - HTTP and SSL are working properly.
>
> I added basic authentication and i seem to be stuck with
> the error in the subject.
>
> .htaccess contains
>     AuthName "stuf"
>     AuthType Basic
>     AuthUserFile /http/conf/theusers

>     require valid-users
>
> httpd prompts for the username/password and when a valid user
> is entered i get the error listed the subject in the error.logs.

> Invalid users get 'user not found'.   So, it makes the
> determination between valid and invalid users.  Just does
> not seem to recognize a valid user/pass combo.
>
> I read the Nov, 2006 email and response regarding the error msg.
> Not sure that i need this link, I am using FC6.
>
> httpd -l  lists mod_auth_basic but not mod_auth itself.
> could that be the problem???
>
> i am sifting through the setup one more time -
> anyone run into this before?

I think your problem is that where you wrote:

require valid-users

You should actually have:

require valid-user

Krist