Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Datta, Abir - Ealing" <ad...@wiley.com> on 2015/11/05 17:58:44 UTC

Classloading performance problems, Tomcat 8 upgrade from tomcat 6

Hi,

Background

Application server has been upgraded from tomcat 6 to tomcat 8. We are experiencingperformance issues in transactions which involve XML processing using DOM4J and xerces api. The application uses dom4j-1.6.1.jar and xercesImpl-2.10.0.jar. There has been no change in the application which was deployed in tomcat 6 to the application deployed in tomcat 8.

Problem

We use Dynatrace to monitor our application. We have seen that in tomcat 8, the time taken for classloading api has increased significantly, leading to performance degradation. This tomcat 8 classloading time and api breakdown leading to classloading<http://i.stack.imgur.com/zblrc.jpg> shows the time taken by the classloading api in Tomcat 8 and this shows what was happening in tomcat 6<http://i.stack.imgur.com/LOk5e.jpg>.

>From the above pics, we can see that Classloading is invoked from the xerces apis(Xml Processing in the pic), so the transactions using the xerces api have shown performance degradation.

Please help in understanding why the classloading times have increased in tomcat 8 and how to get rid of this problem in tomcat8.

Thanks.?

John Wiley & Sons Limited is a private limited company registered in England with registered number 641132.
Registered office address: The Atrium, Southern Gate, Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom. PO19 8SQ.

Re: Classloading performance problems, Tomcat 8 upgrade from tomcat 6

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 06/11/2015 16:15, Datta, Abir - Ealing wrote:
> Could you please suggest something in TOMCAT 8 which might be leading to the problem mentioned below.

Define "increased significantly".

A simple test case that demonstrates the issue would also help.

Mark

Posted by "Datta, Abir - Ealing" <ad...@wiley.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.