Posted to diversity@apache.org by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org> on 2019/04/30 23:52:25 UTC

ApacheCon NA

The call for presentations for ApacheCon North America closes in less
than 2 weeks, so I assume anyone planning a presentation has either
already submitted it, or is close to doing so.

Can the D&I papers fit in the Community track? Does Diversity need a
separate partial track?

In some ways going in the Community track seems better to me because
there may be more opportunity to bring diversity issues to the attention
of people who are interested in Community but not yet thinking about
diversity.

Re: ApacheCon NA

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
I would love to help with this, but a medical situation has just got a
bit worse, and I don't know how much time and energy I will have between
now and ApacheConNA. I am not even sure I will be able to attend.

I would be happy to help on as and when I can, but I cannot commit to a
role where failure to act could cause problems.

Re: ApacheCon NA

Posted by Dinesh Joshi <dj...@apache.org>.
Hi Griselda,

I’ll be happy to help out.

Dinesh

Re: ApacheCon NA

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
If y'all can get enough content together for a half a day of content, I'd
love to have a track on this at ApacheCon EU.

Best,
Myrle

Re: ApacheCon NA

*From: *Dinesh Joshi <dj...@apache.org>
*Date: *Fri, 10 May 2019 at 14:46
*To: * <di...@apache.org>

Re: ApacheCon NA

Posted by Dinesh Joshi <dj...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: ApacheCon NA

*From: *Gris Cuevas <gr...@apache.org>
*Date: *Thu, May 9, 2019 at 12:14 PM
*To: * <di...@apache.org>

Re: ApacheCon NA

Posted by Gris Cuevas <gr...@apache.org>.

Re: ApacheCon NA

*From: *Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>
*Date: *Thu, May 9, 2019 at 08:06
*To: * <di...@apache.org>

Re: ApacheCon NA

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
I think you have excellent people in better health available, so I
recommend using them.

On 5/9/2019 8:02 AM, Griselda Cuevas wrote:
> Ok great! - I will wait for Patricia to decide wether she can help us here.
>
> I was also thinking of Dinesh, who expressed interest on doing this. @Dinesh
> Joshi <di...@gmail.com> would you be interested in helping us
> curate D&I content for ApacheCon?
>
> *From: *Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>
> *Date: *Wed, May 8, 2019, 6:49 PM
> *To: * <di...@apache.org>
>
> On Wed, May 8, 2019, 14:48 Gris Cuevas <gr...@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>>> Anyway, re-stating my ask to you Patricia - Would you like to represent
>>> D&I in the reviewers committee for the community track, and work with me
>>> identify gaps and proactively find content to address them?
>>>
>>> @Rich -  I'm assuming you'd be ok with us proactively inviting external
>>> folks and curating some content after CfP closes. Would you be supportive
>>> of this?
>>>

>> Absolutely.  Indeed I think it's probably my preferred model - that you
>> decide on the story you want to tell and curate the talks that tell that
>> story.

---
https://www.avg.com

Re: ApacheCon NA

*From: *Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>
*Date: *Wed, May 8, 2019, 6:49 PM
*To: * <di...@apache.org>

Re: ApacheCon NA

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: ApacheCon NA

Posted by Gris Cuevas <gr...@apache.org>.

Re: ApacheCon NA

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

On 5/1/2019 9:52 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:

> On 4/30/19 7:52 PM, Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>> The call for presentations for ApacheCon North America closes in less
>> than 2 weeks, so I assume anyone planning a presentation has either
>> already submitted it, or is close to doing so.
>
> If only this were so. History says that 50% of submissions will come in
> the last week, and almost 50% of *that* in the last 48 hours. People do
> like to put this off as long as possible.

To clarify: I did not mean the submissions would already be in, but that
most people who will turn them in on the last day have already given the
matter at least some thought.

>> Can the D&I papers fit in the Community track? Does Diversity need a
>> separate partial track?
>>
>> In some ways going in the Community track seems better to me because
>> there may be more opportunity to bring diversity issues to the attention
>> of people who are interested in Community but not yet thinking about
>> diversity.
>
> Related: I just sent a CFP export to planners@ and you can have a look
> there to see what the current state is of the community track, and D&I
> submissions.
>
> However, the people here on this list right now are the ones best placed
> to submit those D&I talks, or to specifically go out and invite the
> people that we want to give them. Please, if you know the right people
> for this, do go be proactive in inviting them.
>
> --Rich

---
https://www.avg.com

Re: ApacheCon NA

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: ApacheCon NA

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
> I assume anyone planning a presentation has either already submitted
> it, or is close to doing so.

I would say that's a bad assumption.  My experience is the last 24 hours
can be a ton of submissions.

--
Kevin A. McGrail
Member, Apache Software Foundation