Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by ap...@bago.org on 2005/05/24 12:31:38 UTC

Applying for committer status

Hi all,

I'm writing this to let you know I'm interested in gaining this role in this
project.

I'm Italian, 30 year old, and I work in java since java 1.1. I currently run
my own business and we provide java enterprise solutions: we already
succesfully used james (2.1 and 2.2) in past projects and we decided to add
"mail services" to our solutions.

I'm familiar with many ASF projects (tomcat, jakarta-commons, jmeter, oro,
velocity) and with many open source technologies (most used: spring,
hibernate and webwork)

Beside minor bug-fixes (few of them are ready to be applyed) I'm committed
in these tasks:
- security/certification: S/MIME sign/signature check/crypt/decrypt (*)
- performace: optimized remote delivery (*), faster spooling solutions
- better delivery-status/error tracking: fully compliant DSN Bounce
generation (*), success/delay notifications (*), better RemoteDelivery
errors/status recognition (*), remote delivery DSN support (*), ESMTP DSN
support.
- transaction support / reliability: declarative mailet transaction
isolation support

I marked with (*) tasks already in progress or even already deployed.

I think I could also contribute in:
- discussing delivery-status-tracking support in Mailet API.
- POJOification (As I said before I use spring)
- Integration with JMS (JMS spool manager)
- Hibernate mail/user store implementations.

I'm not hurried in gaining this role but I decided to write this letter now
instead of waiting for a committer to nominate me because of the current
project status: 3.0 alpha has just born and this is the best moment to add
new features and refactoring.

Sincerely,
Stefano Bagnara