Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Sharma, Ashish" <as...@hp.com> on 2010/06/10 15:37:05 UTC

Scanning attachments with spamassassin

Hi,

I am a newbie in this.

I have configured spamassassin for my postfix server invoked via amavisd. (I used the link: http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Amavisd)

Here my question is:

Since by default spamassassin and it's default plugins do not check email attachments for spam, are there custom plugins available for scanning attachments for spam?

Do I really need email attachment scanning for anti spam solution to work?

Thanks
Ashish Sharma

RE: Scanning attachments with spamassassin

Posted by "Sharma, Ashish" <as...@hp.com>.
Frank,

So if I am correct, the body rules are applied once all the email is demimed and if the demimed content is in text that the rule can lock on then the rule hits.

Moreover since I am writing custom rules for spamassassin can you point me to good references where I can understand how spamassassin works.

Thanks
Ashish Sharma

Posted by Frank Heydlauf <fh...@lf.net>.
Hi,

--
Regards Frank

RE: Scanning attachments with spamassassin

Posted by Frank Heydlauf <fh...@lf.net>.
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 01:37:05PM +0000, Sharma, Ashish wrote:

> Since by default spamassassin and it's default plugins do not check email attachments for spam, are there custom plugins available for scanning attachments for spam?

why do you think so?

Posted by "Sharma, Ashish" <as...@hp.com>.
Martin,

Thanks for the advice but I am already doing what you have suggested.

Thanks
Ashish Sharma

On Thu, 2010-06-10 at 13:37 +0000, Sharma, Ashish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie in this.
>
> I have configured spamassassin for my postfix server invoked via amavisd. (I used the link: http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Amavisd)
>
> Here my question is:
>
> Since by default spamassassin and it's default plugins do not check email attachments for spam, are there custom plugins available for scanning attachments for spam?
>
> Do I really need email attachment scanning for anti spam solution to work?

Add the Clamav anti-virus scanner to your system. You can configure
Amavis to run it alongside SA.

Martin