Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Henning Blohm <he...@zfabrik.de> on 2016/04/18 11:57:48 UTC

Best way to pass configuration properties to MRv2 jobs

Hi,

in our Hadoop 2.6.0 cluster, we need to pass some properties to all
Hadoop processes so they can be referenced using ${...} syntax in
configuration files. This works reasonably well using
HADOOP_NAMENODE_OPTS and the like.

For Map/Reduce jobs however, we need to speficy not only

mapred.child.java.opts

to pass system properties, in addition we need to set

yarn.app.mapreduce.am.command-opts

for anything that is referenced in Hadoop configuration files.

In the end however almost all the properties passed are available as
environment variables as well.

Hence my question:

* Is it possible to use reference environment variables in configuration
files directly?
* Does anybody know of a simpler way to make sure some system properties
are _always_ set for all Yarn processes?

Thanks,
Henning

Re: Best way to pass configuration properties to MRv2 jobs

Posted by Henning Blohm <he...@zfabrik.de>.
How true!! ;-)

Thanks,
Henning

Posted by Dima Spivak <ds...@cloudera.com>.

Restore cluster from disk snapshot

Posted by Henning Blohm <he...@zfabrik.de>.
On a 10 nodes cluster running Hadoop 2.6 and HBase 1.0 we would like to
be able to restore the whole cluster from a disk snapshot backups.

Given that snapshots for data nodes and name node may not be taken at
the 100% exact same point in time, is there a safe variant that at least
means the cluster is still consistent (except for some late edits maybe)?

Thanks,
Henning