Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by suhail ansari <su...@outlook.com> on 2016/06/03 14:29:26 UTC

Java

Hi everyone, I have a suggestion that Apache OpenOffice should be re written in java because java is available on all major server and desktop operating system. Google recently switched to OpenJDK for Android development and there is a project http://openjdk.java.net/projects/mobile this will port OpenJDK to android, ios and Windows phone. It will be easy for open office to port to different desktop, server and mobile operating systems.
Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Java

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 8:11 PM, toki <to...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I take it you have never had the pleasure of using Apache OpenOffice
> with either _Window Eyes_ or _JAWS_ and a Braille Display Monitor.
>
> Hint: it doesn't work.

First you claimed the lack of accesibility APIs as an argument against the
move of AOO to JavaFX. I replied that there IS a JavaFX accesibility API
starting with Java8u40
https://t.co/ms5rgKJyNK

So, following your logic, AOO should stay C++. But then you claim in the
paragraph above that AOO doesn't work with accesibility software either.

Strange logic, I say.

Opinions are like arseholes. Everybody's got one.

FC

act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell

Re: Java

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.
On 06/09/2016 21:14, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> What is the percentage of Office users who are blind?

It doesn't matter what the percentage is, what matters, is that
organizations have to provide accessible software. If AOo doesn't work
with accessibility software and hardware tools, then the easiest option
is to go to Microsoft, and get something that is both familiar, and
works with known accessibility software and hardware tools.

> Can't blind people continue to use old C++ versions of AOO and the rest of
 the world move on to newer versions?

Please explain why those with a11y needs should tolerate using software
that has known zero day exploits, that are in the wild?

> There is also a little detail about your statement: it isn't true.

I take it you have never had the pleasure of using Apache OpenOffice
with either _Window Eyes_ or _JAWS_ and a Braille Display Monitor.

Hint: it doesn't work.

Freedom Scientific claims the problem is with AOo, not them.

jonathon

Re: Java

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 7:07 AM, nasrin khaksar <na...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> java is not accessible for blinds without using java access briedge
> and i disagree to rewrite openoffice or libreoffice in java.

Are you blind?.
What is the percentage of Office users who are blind?
Can't blind people continue to use old C++ versions of AOO and the rest of
the world move on to newer versions?

There is also a little detail about your statement: it isn't true.

Java8u40 provides JavaFX accesibilty API (JEP 204)

Wow, anti-Java folk are really scrapping the bottom of the FUD barrel...

Re: Java

Posted by nasrin khaksar <na...@gmail.com>.
hi.

On 6/3/16, Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/3/16, suhail ansari <su...@outlook.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone, I have a suggestion that Apache OpenOffice should be re
>> written
>> in java because java is available on all major server and desktop
>> operating
>> system. Google recently switched to OpenJDK for Android development and
>> there is a project http://openjdk.java.net/projects/mobile this will port
>> OpenJDK to android, ios and Windows phone. It will be easy for open
>> office
>> to port to different desktop, server and mobile operating systems.
>
> Your proposal has been made before. I like it. But, like last time,
> surely a handful of individuals on this list with an axe to grind
> against Java will vote against it.
>
> In fact, it makes so much sense now as it did 6 years ago. it was
> Oracle's idea to rewrite OpenOffice.org into JavaFX, before the
> "Freedom Fighters" who opposed the dual-licensing scheme of
> OpenOffice.org (which allowed for the derivative StarOffice w
> propietary add-ons), made their move and led Oracle to hand over OO.o
> to the Apache foundation and lay off all its paid developers.
>
> Oracle sees future of JavaFX with OpenOffice
> http://www.fhshh.com/oracle-sees-the-future-of-javafx-with-openoffice.html
>
> "At the JavaOne conference, Larry Ellison has sent a message to the
> developers of the open source project, encouraging them to quickly
> build libraries for JavaFX. This development language, introduced as a
> competitor to Adobe AIR and FLex, and Silverlight (Microsoft) in the
> design of rich Internet applications (RIAs)".
>
> Unlike the situation at that time, now JavaFX can be made to work
> inside browsers without plug-in via solutions like GluonHQ
> https://mobile.twitter.com/JavaFX_Hulk/status/737541368067690497
>
> ...So, Oracle's idea -had it succeeded and not being stabbed in the
> back by the LO Fork- would have meant that today there would be OO.o
> and/or StarOffice on every mobile phone and tablet...
>
> FC
>
> --
> During times of Universal Deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary
> act
> Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
> Revolucionario
> - George Orwell

holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
al-islam.org