Posted to user@jclouds.apache.org by Andrew Phillips <an...@apache.org> on 2013/09/03 18:14:51 UTC

Re: Does Jcoulds support vsphere? Can Jclouds add a NIC to a VM/assign a NIC to a network?

> 2. Does jclouds support vsphere? I saw a page called VMWare vSphere Design
> & Approach I did not find any further information about
> jclouds+vsphere. Is there any released API I can use?

At present, there is no active jclouds vSphere driver, no. The page
you found discusses some of the steps required for implementation.

If you're interested in picking this up, please let us know!

Regards

ap

Re: Does Jcoulds support vsphere? Can Jclouds add a NIC to a VM/assign a NIC to a network?

Posted by Andrew Phillips <an...@apache.org>.
> Is there any documentation on how to create a jclouds driver?

A *driver* [1] (something like jclouds-log4j) or a *provider*
(something like aws-ec2)?

For the latter, the following two threads are probably your best guide:

http://apache.markmail.org/thread/ppvqsy6pjupffvlx
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/jclouds-dev/JJkqIv2n5pM

And before you get started, I'd highly recommend you hop on to
#jclouds on Freenode IRC and discuss what you're looking to do!

Regards

ap

[1] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/tree/master/drivers

Re: Does Jcoulds support vsphere? Can Jclouds add a NIC to a VM/assign a NIC to a network?

Posted by lhx1031 <lh...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Is there any documentation on how to create a jclouds driver?

thanks

xin

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.
Ah. That documentation is for installing OpenStack itself. That's the kind of stuff you would use when you're building an OpenStack cloud and configuring the physical hosts.

jclouds would have no effect on those.

Regards,
Everett

On Sep 3, 2013, at 4:34 PM, lhx1031 wrote:

Hi Everett,

I am glad to receive your reply. I read some openstack examples in your blog and git, they are very useful.

I found something like this http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/using-multi-nics.html   online, this is why I was thinking maybe I can do the NIC setting with Nova. Thank you for the links and I will go check it.

thanks
Haixin

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Everett Toews <ev...@rackspace.com>> wrote:
Hi Haixin,

I don't think this is something you'd do with Nova API. There's no concept of NICs in the Nova API.

This sounds more like something you'd need the OpenStack Network (Neutron) API for. We don't have support for that yet but there's a PR [1] that being worked on right now.

Although there really isn't a concept of NICs in the Neutron API either. You may want to review the Neutron API doc [2] to make sure it can do what you want it to do.

Regards,
Everett

[1] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-labs-openstack/pull/23
[2] http://docs.openstack.org/api/openstack-network/2.0/content/index.html

On Sep 3, 2013, at 1:50 PM, lhx1031 wrote:

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your reply.  Is there any way to use jclouds-openstack-nova api to add a NIC to a VM/assign a NIC to a network? I did not find any class i can use in the java doc here http://javadocs.jclouds.cloudbees.net/org/jclouds/openstack/nova/v2_0/domain/package-summary.html

Haixin

Posted by lhx1031 <lh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Everett,

Posted by lhx1031 <lh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrew,
I think it does not offer what i need. BTW, do you know if openstack
support vshpere? Is there any openstack API for vsphere?

thanks

Posted by Andrew Phillips <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by lhx1031 <lh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrew,