Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/08 16:57:24 UTC

[general] contribution of Java management console

Hi all,

Sorry for disturbing you again :) but I'd like to announce another
code contribution on behalf of Intel. This the independent
implementation of Java management console. RI has a built-in console
called "jconsole" [1]. BEA has proprietary "JRockit Management
Console" that is distributed along with BEA JDK [2]. One of the most
common purposes of these tools is to provide real-time information
about various Java VM resources and be able to manage them at
run-time.

It will be nice if Harmony could have its own management console.
However, the developed console is simpler than the consoles mentioned
above and doesn't have such a well polished graphical interface. It
uses SWT graphical library and can be used as a plugin for Eclipse as
well as a standalone SWT application. The console provides
capabilities for managing of systems that expose JMX-compliant
management interface. This includes Sun VM, BEA VM, J2EE servers and
etc.  The bad news here is that currently it cannot be used for
Harmony VM management since we do not have the implementation for
java.lang.management package in Harmony yet. But I hope we will have
some day.

The contribution bundle can be found at:

If you have any question please contact me, I will try to answer.

[1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/management/jconsole.html
[2] http://e-docs.bea.com/wljrockit/docs50/usingJMC/monitoring.html#1035332

Thanks for reading so far.
With Best Regards,

--
Alexei Zakharov,
Intel Middleware Product Division

Re: [general] contribution of Java management console

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>> Alexei Zakharov wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Sorry for disturbing you again :) but I'd like to announce another
>>> code contribution on behalf of Intel. This the independent
>>> implementation of Java management console. RI has a built-in console
>>> called "jconsole" [1]. BEA has proprietary "JRockit Management
>
>> Awesome!!! I love it. An eclipse plugin makes *way* more sense than
>> separate swing app.
>
> I have to admit I don't understand that logic completely.  I can run a
> swing app if I have java.  For an eclipse plug in I need eclipse too..
> .anyway, I'm really happy this made it here too.
>
>> Now I wonder, should this be shipped with harmony or should we make it
>> available as another tool?
>>
>> Either way, I'm already +1 on accepting the patch because it would boost
>> the work on the java.lang.management.
>>
>> Since this tool is dependent on nothing that is harmony specific, I
>> think it might be worthwhile starting up as a separate subproject
>> supervised by harmony... but I'm not sure this is kosher with the
>> current incubation guidelines.
>
> For now, I think the prudent thing is to just get it into SVN, make it
> clear how to use it, and answer this question in a few months time.

To refine this answer a little - I believe that the goals of making it
visible, usable, documented, available as a binary in our HDK/JRE are
easily achievable w/o having to formally decide on 'subprojectness', if
you catch my drift.

geir

Re: [general] contribution of Java management console

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>> Alexei Zakharov wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Sorry for disturbing you again :) but I'd like to announce another
>>> code contribution on behalf of Intel. This the independent
>>> implementation of Java management console. RI has a built-in console
>>> called "jconsole" [1]. BEA has proprietary "JRockit Management
>
>> Awesome!!! I love it. An eclipse plugin makes *way* more sense than
>> separate swing app.
>
> I have to admit I don't understand that logic completely.  I can run a
> swing app if I have java.  For an eclipse plug in I need eclipse too..
> .anyway, I'm really happy this made it here too.

Firstly, hurray for the contribution, thanks Alexei!

Using Eclipse means that we don't have to write all the infrastructure
for our UI tooling.  Eclipse RCP is only about 6Mb on disk (incl. the
core and UI parts)

>> Now I wonder, should this be shipped with harmony or should we make it
>> available as another tool?
>>
>> Either way, I'm already +1 on accepting the patch because it would boost
>> the work on the java.lang.management.
>>
>> Since this tool is dependent on nothing that is harmony specific, I
>> think it might be worthwhile starting up as a separate subproject
>> supervised by harmony... but I'm not sure this is kosher with the
>> current incubation guidelines.
>
> For now, I think the prudent thing is to just get it into SVN, make it
> clear how to use it, and answer this question in a few months time.

Agreed, get it in and ensure that we don't add anything
Harmony-JRE-impl-specific.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [general] contribution of Java management console

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Alexei Zakharov wrote:
>> I have to admit I don't understand that logic completely.  I can run a
>> swing app if I have java.  For an eclipse plug in I need eclipse too..
>
> The console was designed in MVC style, so it should be relatively easy
> to implement the additional Swing/AWT view for it if there are any
> volunteers.
>
> As for eclipse, the logic here was to advance the idea
> "Harmony+Eclipse will beat everybody" :-)

I use IDEA.  (And as of last IDC survey, NetBeans beats Eclipse)

<runs for the door...>

geir

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Alexei Zakharov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for disturbing you again :) but I'd like to announce another
> code contribution on behalf of Intel. This the independent
> implementation of Java management console. RI has a built-in console
> called "jconsole" [1]. BEA has proprietary "JRockit Management
> Console" that is distributed along with BEA JDK [2]. One of the most
> common purposes of these tools is to provide real-time information
> about various Java VM resources and be able to manage them at
> run-time.
>
> It will be nice if Harmony could have its own management console.
> However, the developed console is simpler than the consoles mentioned
> above and doesn't have such a well polished graphical interface. It
> uses SWT graphical library and can be used as a plugin for Eclipse as
> well as a standalone SWT application. The console provides
> capabilities for managing of systems that expose JMX-compliant
> management interface. This includes Sun VM, BEA VM, J2EE servers and
> etc.  The bad news here is that currently it cannot be used for
> Harmony VM management since we do not have the implementation for
> java.lang.management package in Harmony yet. But I hope we will have
> some day.
>
> The contribution bundle can be found at:
>
> If you have any question please contact me, I will try to answer.
>
> [1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/management/jconsole.html
> [2] http://e-docs.bea.com/wljrockit/docs50/usingJMC/monitoring.html#1035332

Awesome!!! I love it. An eclipse plugin makes *way* more sense than
separate swing app.

Now I wonder, should this be shipped with harmony or should we make it
available as another tool?

Either way, I'm already +1 on accepting the patch because it would boost
the work on the java.lang.management.

Since this tool is dependent on nothing that is harmony specific, I
think it might be worthwhile starting up as a separate subproject
supervised by harmony... but I'm not sure this is kosher with the
current incubation guidelines.

Comments?

--
Stefano.