Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Kris Rasmussen <kr...@yahoo.com> on 2004/04/18 10:37:28 UTC

Completed Tapestry Project!!!

I just launched a new ecommerce site built with tapestry. It consists of two seperate applications that share common components, one for the front end and another one for the back. Along the way I spent extra time to make many reusable components that have definatly saved me hours of time as I now go back and change things and add new features. I will definatly use tapestry in future projects.

The only serious drawback I saw while working with tapestry is the fact that you really need to know exaclty how it works (which often requires looking at the source code) to be sure your app is reliable and secure. This could be improved with better documentation, but ultimatly may require more serious changes. For example, there exist many cases where a timed out session will triger an application error rather than a stale link exception if you are not carefull (due to complex ognl expression amongst other things). Also, the page pooling can be very dangerous if not properly understood, and parameter bindings can also lead to some serious confusion about when and when not they are valid.

Don't get me wrong, I loved working with tapestry, and I am sure I will love it even more when I get to start reusing all the components I developed. However, If the goal of this project is to make it *the solution* to java based web development, then I think we all know some work needs to be done to increase the level of abstraction tapestry currently maintains.

Thank you very much for this beutiful framework!

Kris

Re: Completed Tapestry Project!!!

Posted by j mammen <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Do you have the link?

RE: Completed Tapestry Project!!!

Posted by Kris Rasmussen <kr...@yahoo.com>.
I will definatly give you all the link to the site in a few days after my client has had a chance to monitor how many of his customers have successfully used the new site. I'd rather not clutter the logs with views from tapestry users just yet. Thanks again, I'll send out a link in a few days.

Kris Rasmussen

"Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net> wrote:
That's great news!

One of my issues with JSF is it attempts to declare by fiat that all problems of web application
development have been solved. Tapestry started in 2000 as a strong, flexible platform containing a
good set of abstractions that we've been able to build on for four years, identifying and overcoming
new problems along the way.

We try to be honest and up front of any problems and limitations because we know that they can all
be overcome.

Tapestry 3.0 is a dramatic improvement over 2.3, focused at bringing more developers into the
Tapestry fold by lowering the cost of entry and adding a more RAD-like approach.

Tapestry 3.1, which should have a much shorter development cycle, will be about addressing the
limitations of the infrastructure that are of concern to power users.

Keep involved, keep a fire under our feet with your experiences in the real world and I can
guarantee we'll keep making things easier.

Also, if you could update the Wiki with details about your project, including scalability and
performance, that would be great!

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components