Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by DE VITO Dominique <do...@thalesgroup.com> on 2016/03/04 17:39:38 UTC

Cassandra runing on top of NAS (RAIN storage) !?? anyone ?

Hi,

Is there any info about running C* on top of a NAS storage, well, a RAIN storage (to be precise) in fact ?

I expect C* to run on top of a RAIN like on top of a high-end SAN: that is, with a drop (-50%) in performance.

Any return available ?

Thanks.

Regards,
Dominique

RE: Cassandra runing on top of NAS (RAIN storage) !?? anyone ?

Posted by DE VITO Dominique <do...@thalesgroup.com>.
> Don't do it [C* on NAS storage]

Yes, I know ;-) it’s an anti-pattern.

Let’s me give more info.

We expect moving from a high-end SAN (<= yes, I know !) to local hard drives.
Due to lack time (I won’t dig into it here), we expect in fact moving like this: SAN => RAIN => local HDD (for storage)

So, the questions:

- for C* storage point of view, is RAIN performance similar to a SAN ?

- or, is C* on RAIN much, much worse than C* on SAN ?

Any return/experience will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Dominique

Posted by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.
Don't do it