Posted to dev@oodt.apache.org by "Mallder, Valerie" <Va...@jhuapl.edu> on 2017/03/06 14:50:44 UTC

RE: Merge Avro RPC

Hi Lewis,

I hope you are doing well. I have been silent on oodt email for a while. But now I need to do more pipeline development work and I'm looking for resources to help me come up to speed with some of the changes that have been made over the last few months.  Is the link below the correct place to look for  the XMRPC to AvroRPC upgrade information?  It doesn't really say anything, so if there is a different place I should be looking please let me know.

Thanks,
Val

Posted by "Mallder, Valerie" <Va...@jhuapl.edu>.
Hi Lewis, oh no worries. I am trying to catch up on email too. I see you've sent a couple of other emails I will try to answer as well. Thanks for your attention to this. I know how it feels to be pulled in multiple directions at work and be pressed for time. Same happens with me all the time.

Val

Sent with BlackBerry Work (www.blackberry.com)

From: lewis john mcgibbney <le...@apache.org>>
Date: Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017, 8:06 PM
To: dev@oodt.apache.org <de...@oodt.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: How to convert XMLRPC to AvroRPC??

Hi Val,
I was going through my email, sorry for late reponse.

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 4:40 PM, Mallder, Valerie <Valerie.Mallder@jhuapl.edu
> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Is there any documention on how to convert a XMLRPC-based OODT Pipeline to
> an AvroRPC-based OODT Pipeline? (See email thread below).

Right now no. I actually created a wiki page at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OODT/OODT+XMLRPC+--%3E+AvroRPC+Upgrade
I'll have a go at augmenting it maybe tonight and will write back here. I
am using a new RADiX deployment for a new project and this is as good a
time as any to augment the documentation.

> I am beginning work on a 3rd pipeline and I need to decide if I should
> abandon OODT altogether or upgrade from version 1.1 to the latest version.
> I definitely need some documention on how to do this conversion.
> Unfortunately, my scientists and project manager don't have the funds for
> me to spend a lot of time fumbling through it and figurring everything out
> on my own. :(

Yes I get it. I'll try to help you out as much as I can. Apologies, my
previous project got derailed and I didn't get around to augmenting the
documentation.
Lewis

Posted by lewis john mcgibbney <le...@apache.org>.
Hi Val,

Posted by "Mallder, Valerie" <Va...@jhuapl.edu>.
Hi Lewis
No problem here either. I haven't worked with anything new with OODT since before the switch over to git so I don't totally understand the magnitude of the task you got yourself into, but I can imagine it requires tremendous attention to detail to do it correctly. So take your time.

I need to spend some familiarizing myself with all that has changed since the last time i checked out anything from the repository.

I am currently working with two non-radix imstantiations of OODT. One uses workflow manager only, and the other uses workflow manager, filemgr, and resource manager, and we tried to use the opsui web application but I haven't had time to do any customizations on it so it's not really that helpful to us at the moment. I really could get away with using just workflow manager with that one too, but we are interested we're interested in the opsui so I am running with resource manage because it was required in order to use opsui.

For my new pipeline, I am going to be interested to know if any new development work has been done on opsui in the newest version of OODT (we are still interested in building a dashboard) and to see how hard or easy it will be to switch over to the AvroRPC environment. I'm hoping to make a decision soon on how I want to proceed with the new pipeline which is for the EIS imstrument on the MMS mission.

From: lewis john mcgibbney <le...@apache.org>>
Date: Friday, Mar 10, 2017, 2:59 PM
To: dev@oodt.apache.org <de...@oodt.apache.org>>

Hi Val,
Please see my other thread on this topic. I'm going to work on tests again
tonight and hopefully stabilize them.
Once that's done, then I'll come back here with the documentation.
Lewis

Posted by lewis john mcgibbney <le...@apache.org>.
Hi Val,