Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org> on 2007/08/20 18:26:10 UTC

[REMINDER] 1.0.0 branch tonight

OpenJPA Developers-

Pursuant to the vote at http://www.nabble.com/-DISCUSS--set-a-
deadline-for-1.0.0-features-t4233167.html , a branch for OpenJPA
1.0.0 will be created tonight at 11:59 PM EST, and a release
candidate will be immediately created for voting on the final 1.0.0
release.

If anyone needs more time for essential bugfixes, now is the time to
speak up.

--
Marc Prud'hommeaux

Re: [REMINDER] 1.0.0 branch tonight

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
Marc,
We're on track for this 1.0.0 cutoff.  Just an FYI...  I am still working
with Teresa and Catalina to complete OPENJPA-321 (should be ready shortly)
and I just committed Teresa's changes for OPENJPA-323.  I don't have any
other JIRA Issues expected to make tonight's cutoff.

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@gmail.com>.
> Maybe I wasn't clear in what I meant when I replied last night. I'm all for
> the 1.0.0 branch, I'm ambivalent about needing a 1.1.0 branch in addition to
> the 1.0.0 branch. I think that trunk can be used for all new function until

Agreed (almost). I agree that we should be doing 1.1-related work in
the trunk, at least for now.

The 1.0.0 branch that Marc created is a special-purpose,
release-transient thing. We won't cut a 1.0.1 release from the 1.0.0
branch. I'm suggesting that we create a 1.0 branch (note the lack of
the trailing patch number) that all the 1.0.x work will be isolated
to.

I think that we're talking about the same stuff, just with different terms.

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey
202 669 5907

Re: [REMINDER] 1.0.0 branch tonight

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@gmail.com>.
> I agree. I don't see the need for basing 1.1.0 on 1.0.0. But the
> continuation of 1.0.0 to 1.0.1, 1.0.2, etc should be on the 1.0.0
> branch.

So it sounds like we're all largely in agreement.

The thing is, per our current procedures, the 1.0.0 branch is just a
temporary thing. Additionally, it's called '1.0.0' -- hardly a great
place to make a 1.0.1 build from.

I think that we should change our procedures so that when building an
x.y.0 release, we name the branch x.y, and keep it around as the
branch that the x.y line lives in.

I think that we could further modify things to remove the need to
create a branch at all for an x.y.z release where z is greater than 0,
since the only work in the x.y branch will be bugfix work at that time
anyways.

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey