Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Arvind IK Chari <ar...@anyaservices.com> on 2012/12/20 22:59:15 UTC

Geronimo newbie-- How to set up SSL+configure SSL Certificate

Hello all,

I am very new to Geronimo hence pardon me if my question sounds silly to you 😊

Basically, I am trying to configure a web app that has an RMI and a REST Service, and I want to secure it with SSL. I have the following questions--

(1) From where do I generate the CSR(Certificate Signing Request)?  Also, in the screen in Namecheap.com (SSL Cert provider) there is a question asked for Type of Server- this has various options like ”Apache + Open SSL”/ “Apache + modSSL”/”CPanel”/”Tomcat” etc... Which of these options should I select?

(2) How do I add the generated certificate to Geronimo. Also, where and how do I configure the Certifying Authority’s certificates (i.e. CA Certificates)?

(3) How do I add the subdomain under which I want SSL to work-- do I have to add this as a virtual host to Tomcat (as per Geronimo Docs)?

(4) What are the steps to finally deploy my web app to the subdomain with the SSL Certificate?

I would be extremely grateful If someone could answer all of the points raised above.

Yours sincerely,
Arvind.

Re: Geronimo newbie-- How to set up SSL+configure SSL Certificate

Posted by Zhi Xie <da...@gmail.com>.
(1) From where do I generate the CSR(Certificate Signing Request)?  Also,
in the screen in Namecheap.com (SSL Cert provider) there is a question
asked for Type of Server- this has various options like ”Apache + Open
SSL”/ “Apache + modSSL”/”CPanel”/”Tomcat” etc... Which of these options
should I select?

You can use keytool to generate the CSR. Please refer the link *
https://www.digicert.com/easy-csr/keytool.htm*. The geronimo server is good
for you.

(2) How do I add the generated certificate to Geronimo. Also, where and how
do I configure the Certifying Authority’s certificates (i.e. CA
Certificates)?
To generate Certification Authority, you can access the geronimo 3.0 admin
console "Security"->"Certificate Authority" to setup it.

(3) How do I add the subdomain under which I want SSL to work-- do I have
to add this as a virtual host to Tomcat (as per Geronimo Docs)?
You can refer the doc *
https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/certificate-properties-file-realm.html*.

(4) What are the steps to finally deploy my web app to the subdomain with
the SSL Certificate?
You can deploy you app into geronimo,and then access it by Https connector.

--
Best Regards
Gary