Posted to users@camel.apache.org by "S. Ali Tokmen" <sa...@bull.net> on 2008/11/17 16:27:49 UTC

Registry/Repository support in CAMEL

Hello

I'm currently working in integrating CAMEL into the JOnAS Application
Server. I had previously worked on Mule and I can tell you that
integrating CAMEL in an application server has been much easier and neater.

When working with CAMEL, one functionality I've found missing is the
Registry/Repository support.

So, I'm asking: has anyone tried linking CAMEL with any registry or
repository? (UDDI, Mule Galaxy, WSO2 Registry, ...)

Cheers

--

S. Ali Tokmen
savas-ali.tokmen@bull.net

Office: +33 4 76 29 76 19
GSM:    +33 66 43 00 555

Bull, Architect of an Open World TM
http://www.bull.com

Re: Registry/Repository support in CAMEL

Posted by "S. Ali Tokmen" <sa...@bull.net>.
Great

Thanks for your help

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by "S. Ali Tokmen" <sa...@bull.net>.
Hello

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by "S. Ali Tokmen" <sa...@bull.net>.
Hello

The project will be using an LGPL license (like many other OW2
projects). I think LGPL was compatible with most of the other licences,

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by "S. Ali Tokmen" <sa...@bull.net>.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by "S. Ali Tokmen" <sa...@bull.net>.
Hello

Posted by "raulvk.soa" <ra...@gmail.com>.
Is it possible to define these endpoint refs in a Global XML file that ALL
Camel routes can see and use?

Or do the endpoint refs have to be defined inside the route that is going to
use them?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
2008/11/21 S. Ali Tokmen <sa...@bull.net>:
> Hello
>
> This is very good to know :) A repository would in fact resemble the
> "endpoint id" mechanism, the only difference being that the endpoint
> identifier would not be "hardcoded" but rather obtained from a Repository
> service.
>
> I'm launching debug sessions to see at which points integration fits best. I
> hope to be able of doing what I want without having do change CAMEL core.

Sorry I'm so slow diving into this interesting thread; I've been on
paternity leave & trying to sleep :)

So the reference mechanism Claus mentioned is really intended for
local aliasing; for example if you refer to the same endpoint many
times within routes & you don't want to have to include all the
various URI parameters and so forth - you can introduce a logical name
for it. A bit like introducing a shared variable in code.

I think what you are after is some kind of registry/repository
mechanism so that you can look up logical named endpoints - but at
runtime have some separate database/JNDI/LDAP thing map the logical
name to some physical endpoint class and/or URI string etc.

There are a few ways to do this; I'll just list some ideas to see
which one seems the most fitting.

One of the design ideas behind Camel was that there can be many
Endpoints; they can be lazily created on demand or registered by the
user into a CamelContext. A Component is really just a factory of
Endpoints; it takes a URI and creates an Endpoint instance for it.
Sometimes a Component can share some configuration information across
actual endpoints (e.g. a JMS component can share JMS ConnectionFactory
objects across endpoints for individual queues and topics etc)
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/component.html

So you could create some kind of Registry Component which takes a
logical URI and maps it to some Endpoint instance somehow. e.g. your
component could use the scheme 'foo' so that a URI

foo:someLogicalName

then takes the remaining name and looks it up somewhere - then returns
the Endpoint object - or looks up an Endpoint by URI to lazily create
the physical endpoint etc.

We should probably have standard JNDI / ldap / OSGi components which
just look up a logical endpoint name in those particular registry
implementations. Though in some ways we can just reuse existing IoC
contains for this. e.g. we could refer to an Endpoint by its logical
name - then use Spring Dynamic Modules to look up the endpoint by name
in OSGi; or use Spring's JNDI lookup mechanism to look up in JNDI etc

Incidentally another approach to this is to use OSGi / JBI / NMR as a
level of indirection. e.g. when using Camel inside ServiceMix you can
refer to JBI endpoints using their logical name - then the NMR can
resolve those logical names to physical endpoints. I tend to view the
JBI NMR as being an endpoint registry; capable of mapping a logical
endpoint to one or more physical endpoints.

Finally on the licensing & including in an example; we can't
redistribute or link with any LGPL code in an Apache project. However
so long as the Apache code doesn't import directly any LGPL code - it
seems allowable to have an example maven program download the LGPL
code. e.g. an Apache example could use JPA and then have a maven build
use either OpenJPA or Hibernate.

So I think we could have an example program which routes using URIs
which use an LGPL component at runtime to resolve the URIs into
physical endpoints

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration
http://fusesource.com/

Re: Registry/Repository support in CAMEL

Posted by "S. Ali Tokmen" <sa...@bull.net>.
Hello

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by "S. Ali Tokmen" <sa...@bull.net>.
Hello again

I've actually found out that the Registry needs to be overriden in the
RouteBuilder.configure() method.

Getting closer... :)

Posted by "S. Ali Tokmen" <sa...@bull.net>.
Hello