Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu> on 1998/01/08 19:48:00 UTC

somethin amiss on Solaris

Something has gone wrong in the current 1.3bX-dev, at least on Solaris.
The symptoms are image loads never finishing for some children, usually
stuck on 100%.  I think Rasmus reported the same last month (12/23).
This is just a head's up notice, since I haven't had time to truss it
and may not get a chance to today.

....Roy

Re: somethin amiss on Solaris

Posted by ra...@bellglobal.com.
> Something has gone wrong in the current 1.3bX-dev, at least on Solaris.
> The symptoms are image loads never finishing for some children, usually
> stuck on 100%.  I think Rasmus reported the same last month (12/23).
> This is just a head's up notice, since I haven't had time to truss it
> and may not get a chance to today.

Yes, I was pretty sure it was something I had messed up in the PHP module,
but one of the PHP developers reported similar symptoms without the module.
I actually discounted this report since it seems much more pronounced on
my box when the PHP module is included.  I have gotten 4 separate bug
reports from PHP3 users complaining about this exact problem.  Maybe it is
related to specific modules somehow?  I might be doing something in PHP
that triggers this, and perhaps one of the modules you are running is
doing something similar?  Which modules do you have active?  I would love
to solve this one.  Right now it is holding up the release of the next
PHP3 beta since I am not yet convinced that it isn't a PHP issue, or at
least an issue with one of the Apache API calls that PHP uses.

-Rasmus

Re: somethin amiss on Solaris

Posted by ra...@bellglobal.com.
> Which version; I see nothing on Solaris 2.4/gcc/Sparc ?

Solaris 2.5.1 with up to date TCP patches and gcc 2.7.2.2

I even have an illustration of the problem online.  Compare these
two URL's:

  http://www.lerdorf.on.ca:81/php3/

  http://www.lerdorf.on.ca/php3/

If you hit shift-reload a couple of times and watch the images in the
upper right corner of page, you will see that the images on the port 81
server takes a long time to finish, while the port 80 server is fine.

I first noticed this on Dec.23, so I think the problem was introduced sometime
prior to that date.

-Rasmus

Re: somethin amiss on Solaris

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <Di...@jrc.it>.
On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Something has gone wrong in the current 1.3bX-dev, at least on Solaris.
> The symptoms are image loads never finishing for some children, usually
> stuck on 100%.  I think Rasmus reported the same last month (12/23).
> This is just a head's up notice, since I haven't had time to truss it
> and may not get a chance to today.

Which version; I see nothing on Solaris 2.4/gcc/Sparc ?

Dw.