Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/24 11:07:29 UTC

[server] Illustrative Fork [WAS Re: svn commit: r688466 - /james/server/sandbox/active/sample-independent-imap/]

we talked at length previously about decoupling independent POJO based
protocol libraries. please feel free to jump in if anyone wants to add
anything to that old debate.

i'm now ready to start doing something about it beginning with IMAP
(tracked by https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-854). IMAP has
a lot of code and modules. IMHO moving out the IMAP protocol should
make both code bases much more approachable. i hope that lessons
learnt can be applied to the other protocols.

i plan to use this sandbox as an illustrative dry run for the
separation of a IMAP protocol library independent of JAMES server.
I've created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-855 to track
this.

feedback welcomed :-)

- robert