Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Rafi Aroch <ra...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/16 08:12:20 UTC

CloudWatch Metrics Reporter

Hi,

In my team we use CloudWatch as our monitoring & alerting system.
I noticed that CloudWatch does not appear in the list of supported
Reporters.
I was wondering why is that. Was there no demand from the community? Is it
related to licensing issue with AWS? Was it a technical concern?

Would you accept this contribution into Flink?

Thanks,
Rafi

Re: CloudWatch Metrics Reporter

Posted by Bowen Li <bo...@gmail.com>.
To @Chesnay 's question on AWS library: yes, it would require using
aws-java-sdk-core
<https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.amazonaws/aws-java-sdk-core>and
aws-java-sdk-cloudwatch
<https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.amazonaws/aws-java-sdk-cloudwatch>.
Both
are of Apache License 2.0. This is different than
flink-connector-kinesis's Kinesis
Producer/Consumer Libraries which use Amazon Software License. Thus Flink
can build a cloudwatch reporter module and publish to mvn.

However, I'm neutral to developing a cloudwatch reporter module, the thing
itself. According to my own experience of using cloudwatch, it's ok for
metrics of other AWS services, but it's neither handy nor friendly for
metrics of external services, because of its design limitations. I didn't
use cloudwatch even when I ran Flink on AWS EMR. Not sure how popular it is
in Flink community. Besides, it takes future commitment of maintaining it.
Thus, we can give it more thoughts if we decide to build a cloudwatch
reporter module.

Thanks, Bowen

Posted by Dyana Rose <dy...@salecycle.com>.

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.