Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mohsin <mo...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/05 03:18:08 UTC

How to reset svn password by svn user ?

Hi SVN Experts,

Hope all of you are doing well. I have one question we are running svn
server on linux environment and using Tortoise svn as a client now question
is can user have option to change his/her password of svn account or just
administrator can reset password for user ?

Cheers
Mohsin

RE: How to reset svn password by svn user ?

Posted by Mohsin <mo...@gmail.com>.
>Ok, so you are using apache httpd.  Apache deals with user _authentication_
(who you are) whilst >subversion optionally deals with _authorisation_ (what
you are allowed to do).  Usernames and passwords >are one way of proving who
you are, so this is part of _authentication_.

>So, again, it depends on how you have configured _authentication_.  Read
the httpd docs:-

>http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/auth.html (for version 2.2)
>
>http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/howto/auth.html (for version 2.4)
>
>...and then you can tell us which authentication method you are using and
on which platform (and >version) and hopefully someone will be able to help
you.

Thanks. Here is information which we using in our environment:

Authentication type:
mod_auth_basic

Authentication provider :
mod_authn_file

Authorization :
mod_authz_user (Require valid-user)

Subversion Version : 1.8.10

Posted by "Cooke, Mark" <ma...@siemens.com>.
> >Well, as an example, if your Subversion server is setup to authenticate via
> Active Directory the user would >change their windows password.  If it is
> setup to authenticate against a text file with names and passwords, >then
> someone has to edit the text file.
> >
> >It depends on the authentication method you are using.

This is not a subversion question... but we do try to be helpful round here.  Please do read the answers you are given and if you do not understand, ask (rather than guess and hope).  Neither mod_dav nor mod_dav_svn are involved in passwords.

Ok, so you are using apache httpd.  Apache deals with user _authentication_ (who you are) whilst subversion optionally deals with _authorisation_ (what you are allowed to do).  Usernames and passwords are one way of proving who you are, so this is part of _authentication_.

So, again, it depends on how you have configured _authentication_.  Read the httpd docs:-

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/auth.html (for version 2.2)

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/howto/auth.html (for version 2.4)

...and then you can tell us which authentication method you are using and on which platform (and version) and hopefully someone will be able to help you.

~ mark c

Re: How to reset svn password by svn user ?

Posted by Mohsin <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 4, 2015, at 9:36 PM, Mohsin <mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Subversion itself can't change the password. Whether the user can change
>> it (outside of Subversion) depends on the authentication method you're
>> using, and that's defined by the server, not the client.
>
> If some user want to change his/her password how can he /she change password
> of account ?

Well, as an example, if your Subversion server is setup to authenticate via Active Directory the user would change their windows password.  If it is setup to authenticate against a text file with names and passwords, then someone has to edit the text file.

It depends on the authentication method you are using.

Mark

Re: How to reset svn password by svn user ?

Posted by Mohsin <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.
On 05.03.2015 03:18, Mohsin wrote:
> Hi SVN Experts,
>
> Hope all of you are doing well. I have one question we are running svn
> server on linux environment and using Tortoise svn as a client now question
> is can user have option to change his/her password of svn account or just
> administrator can reset password for user ?

Subversion itself can't change the password. Whether the user can change
it (outside of Subversion) depends on the authentication method you're
using, and that's defined by the server, not the client.

-- Brane

Re: How to reset svn password by svn user ?

Posted by Mohsin Abbas <mo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.

That's make sense. Can you guide me how can i configure submin with apache
for subversion ? Submin is open source or paid ?

Mohsn

Posted by jb...@icloud.com.

Posted by Mohsin <mo...@gmail.com>.