Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/17 09:04:02 UTC

[HEADS UP] - Must revert some of the Generic API changes in camel-core

Hi Hadrian

Sorry but your effort to remove the Eclipse warnings have backfired
and caused series issues now.

I propose to

1)
Revert the changes in camel-core related to
- Java DSL
- Model classes
- (the rest can stay as it probably makes sense)

The problem is
- the code cannot compile now
- Scala component does not work anymore
- The Java generics is terrible confusing to work with with the
cryptic error messages from the Java compiler
- It brings very little value to have <?> etc. cluttered all over the place
- Compilers on other platforms such as HP-UX, AIX, etc. cannon
sometimes compile code that compiles with SUN javac.
- And we removed generics when we moved from 1.x to 2.0! So why
introduce some of them back.

So we should *not* mess with the Java DSL and the model classes as its
important that it works and are not broken by over engineered generics

Sorry if my tone is not happy but I really think this move was not called for.
Before code using generics was standing out and you could pay
attention why it was using generics.
Now the code is cluttered with useless generics which breaks all kind
of issues. And the code that before "stand out" does not anymore.

So lets get the Java DSL and model classes + Scala working again. Then
the other parts can be genericfied.

BTW: SUN added some option to JDK7 to let the compiler not warn about
all these generic stuff. They have also seen the lights with these
stupid warnings.

--
Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer

Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/davsclaus

Re: [HEADS UP] - Must revert some of the Generic API changes in camel-core

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Okay looks like I have the model classes fixed now so it wont break a
> ton of issues.
> It also resolves the issue with Scala so we have camel-scala back in business.
>
> Hadrian please refrain from changing in the model classes as it breaks
> all sort of issues.
>
> Will commit my changes when the last tests has been success.

Okay all the code now compiles. Also camel-scala.
So we are back in business.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi