Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2019/07/30 23:48:46 UTC

Should Log4j 2 2.x drop support for Java 7?

I implemented a logging builder pattern in the Log4j API on the master branch. I was able to do that in a backward compatible manner by using Java 8 default methods. Although I could implement those default methods in AbstractLogger in the release-2.x branch, the Logger interface would no longer be backward compatible.  In doing some investigation I found https://www.baeldung.com/java-in-2018 <https://www.baeldung.com/java-in-2018> which showed Java 7 usage to be down to about 5%.

I still don’t see us releasing 3.0 very soon because more modularization work is required. So I am now wondering if we should just make the minimum requirement for new Log4j 2 2.x releases to be Java 8.

Thoughts?

Ralph

Re: Should Log4j 2 2.x drop support for Java 7?

Posted by Volkan Yazıcı <vo...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Java 8.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Java 8.

Posted by Carter Kozak <ck...@ckozak.net>.
Sounds reasonable to me given public support for 7 ended over four years ago. It's probably worth a preemptive email to the users list so we don't surprise anyone.

-ck

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Should Log4j 2 2.x drop support for Java 7?

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.
No objections from me.