Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Coughlan <mp...@yahoo.com> on 2003/12/21 21:32:31 UTC

Why JBoss (and Tomcat)?

This might seem like an embarrassing question (or a poor post for the
Tomcat-user list), but why would a developer want to download JBoss with
Tomcat bundled instead of Tomcat alone?

Does the Jakarta project have a competing open-source appsever product?

I understand why someone would need an application server for Apache, but
isn't Tomcat prepared to track sessions, manage DB connection objects with
JDBC, etc? Does JBoss provide standard code for "Shopping Carts"? What does
it offer that Tomcat does not?

I'm sure there is a good reason for App Servers. If someone can clue me in
as to the limits of Tomcat and the common uses of an App Server, I would
appreciate it.

The only decent Documentation for JBoss is for sale. Their site was not very
informative. I don't know if I trust their POV anyway.

In the mealtime, I've got the JBoss installer tar to try out and no manual.

Thanks,
MPC

Re: Why JBoss (and Tomcat)?

Posted by Sebastian Ryszard Kruk <sk...@o2.pl>.
Two words man: full J2EE ;-)

Dnia 12/21/2003 09:32 PM, Uz.ytkownik Michael Coughlan napisa?:

RE: Why JBoss (and Tomcat)?

Posted by Michael Coughlan <mp...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks again for the reply, Tim. As you can tell, I am a little confused
although it's becoming somewhat more clear.

> J2EE includes JMS, EJB, and a bunch of other acronyms.
> java.sun.com should
> have a whitepaper about j2ee and everything it can do.

I think I can imagine that whitepaper. This might be the source of my
confusion:

I was under the impression that JMS, EJBs, etc. were supplied by the J2EE
SDK. If so, what does JBoss give me on top of that SDK?

Let's take JMS as an example:

I remember compiling and running Java Messenger Service code examples as
stand alone Java programs (without JBoss). I just assumed that I was able
and expected to write servlets to make use of the robust JMS Development
Kit.

Was I wrong?

If not, then what exactly would JBoss offer on top of the J2EE SDK and
Tomcat?

Does JBoss (WebShere, BEA Weblogic) offer some kind of JMS Servlet libraries
on top of the already robust J2EE sdk? Do they simply give persistence? I
can't seem to find a direct answer to that question.

> There is an apache project called Geronimo but it is in its
> infancy (i think).

I can imagine that the existence of JBoss would steal some of Geronimo's
thunder despite the cool project name.

Thanks again and best regards,

MPC

Re: Why JBoss (and Tomcat)?

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
J2EE includes JMS, EJB, and a bunch of other acronyms. java.sun.com should
have a whitepaper about j2ee and everything it can do. Most of the acronyms
are enablers to solve some business problem. (Other acronyms sometime feel
like they just allow consultants to make a lot of money ;) )

There is an apache project called Geronimo but it is in its infancy (i think).

-Tim

RE: Why JBoss (and Tomcat)?

Posted by Michael Coughlan <mp...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for the reply.

> Tomcat is a servlet (and jsp) container. Thats it, nothing else. Zippo.

Understood. Although Tomcat seems to be more robust than Apache in tracking
sessions and saving state, which is what App Servers did in the past.

> JBoss is a full J2EE server which offers all the J2EE services

To help drive the point home, can someone please give a few more examples of
"J2EE services"?

I swear, I've looked through all the Sun App server and Jboss literature and
there is very little about what one might do with them.

Finally, the Jakarta project seems so robust, why is there no Jakarta
equivalent? Or is there?

Thanks again.

Re: Why JBoss (and Tomcat)?

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Tomcat is a servlet (and jsp) container. Thats it, nothing else. Zippo.

JBoss is a full J2EE server which offers all the J2EE services (and one of
those things being tomcat)

-Tim