Posted to dev@zeppelin.apache.org by Philipp Dallig <ph...@gmail.com> on 2020/11/21 13:13:15 UTC

CI plattform

Hi Folks,

I think that travis-ci.org and travis-ci.com can no longer be used for
our CI tests. Due to a restriction for open source builds
(https://twitter.com/geerlingguy/status/1324480667984498689) I have
migrated my Zeppelin fork from travis-ci.org to travis-ci.com.

Last week I received 10000 credits for starting travis-ci.com build
jobs. Unfortunately these credits are used up very quickly due to the
many and long tests. I used up these 10000 points within one day.

Some facts from the timeline:
  - In May 2018 Travis CI announces open source project migration to
travis-ci.com
(https://blog.travis-ci.com/2018-05-02-open-source-projects-on-travis-ci-com-with-github-apps)
  - On Nov 2, 2020: Travis CI announces new pricing model, effectively
ends generous open source offering.
(https://blog.travis-ci.com/2020-11-02-travis-ci-new-billing)
  - December 31, 2020: Travis-ci.org will be put into read-only mode.
(https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/migrate/open-source-repository-migration/#frequently-asked-questions)

Do we have a plan for migration, and if so, what is our plan?

Is anything planned by the Apache Foundation?

I would prefer a CI platform where a new user with a pull request does
not have to do a CI setup or a setup with only a few steps. Of course, a
new CI platform should be as transparent as possible.

With kind regards
Philipp Dallig

Re: CI plattform

Posted by moon soo Lee <le...@gmail.com>.
Before, I tried to migrate to Github Actions. ZEPPELIN-4385
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-4385>.
Zeppelin project repository was not configured to trigger build (INFRA-19249
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-19249?focusedCommentId=16956356&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-16956356>
).

However, it looks like other repositories under Apache GitHub organization
can leverage Github Actions. e.g.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-tvm/actions. So it looks like there's a
way to use Github Actions.

I also agree that the CI platform that just works for a new user without
any setup is pretty important.

Thanks,
moon

Re: CI plattform