Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/01 10:59:33 UTC

Re: Call for Papers: "ApacheCON: Core" in Budapest October 1-2 2015.

There are at least a few Angular detection modules already on GitHub:
https://github.com/srfrnk/ng-device-detector
or
https://github.com/angular-adaptive/adaptive-detection

All of them I could spot use the "If/Else Spaghetti Code" notion somewhat
similar to the likes of 52Degrees.mobi (at least in its Community Editions
which are also available for free)

Looking at just one of the biggest commercial names, DeviceAtlas:
https://deviceatlas.com/resources/download-enterprise-api
They pretty much sort supported languages by what they (and large portions
of the industry) consider the order of importance:

   1. Java
   2. Node.js (JavaScript)
   3. PHP
   4. .NET
   5. Python
   6. Ruby
   7. C/C++

Actually Node.js is brand new (
https://deviceatlas.com/blog/deviceatlas-api-node-js)
If we manage to support some (actually I believe Reza also wrote some C
Classifier against OpenDDR earlier) or all of these in the order we're able
to we can offer a good Open Source alternative to commercial closed-source
products like DeviceAtlas, WURFL, etc.

Oh and btw. https://deviceatlas.com/resources/getting-the-data shows,
DeviceAtlas also offers JSON format of its data either as another option
(for Java) or likely the default for Node.js, so DeviceMap "2.x" is simply
another format to them. Which way the data is stored internally, one cannot
tell for a closed-source vendor, so it's "some" format or DB and other
flavors of the latest device data certainly gets transformed and converted
between those formats. Paying customers who use some of its standard-based
libraries won't be forced to use JSON now or rewrite the software to
JavaScript or Node.js, they just get the same data based on their
subscription.

Btw. https://deviceatlas.com/resources/general clearly states, DeviceAtlas
not only uses the W3C DDR standard but some APIs (at least for Java) also
leverage W3C CC/PP.

Each of them has a target group and user base, so a diversity on the API
side is beneficial. Same goes for the new "modular" approach we managed to
find for DeviceMap.
Guess I will also mention that in the abstract.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

The schedule for both ApacheCon events is now taking shape. I also got the
ApacheCon Big Data talk approved, so in total I'm primary or co-speaker of
4 sessions:-)

Aside from the fact, it's the last talk of the conference week Friday
afternoon, the DeviceMap slot also looks good: http://sched.co/3x2Q
Having them put it under the IoT theme actually does not seem bad at all.
While devices to detect may mostly be tablets or phones, DeviceMap aims at
other device categories like Smart Watches or similar wearables or smart
appliances, so I don't see a problem with that. It might even keep a few
people from leaving despite the late timing;-)

Werner

Re: Call for Papers: "ApacheCON: Core" in Budapest October 1-2 2015.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
All,

Happy to announce, 3 sessions for ApacheCon Core Europe 2015 were confirmed
to be accepted, 2 I proposed, another one as co-speaker. Including
DeviceMap.
While SlideShare also contains last year's ACE slides, a more up to date
version was used at codemotion Rome this spring:
http://www.slideshare.net/keilw/apache-devicemap-codemotion-roma-2015

Have a look, and happy about proposals for additional or modified pages. I
don't insist on every DDR synonym image (at least one still can't hurt I
guess) nor on every page referring to WURFL, except maybe the
performance/memory benchmarks. Anybody who helps the "Classifer" clients
either for Java or .NET perform better or has collected proper benchmarks,
please share them. Both the WURFL version and W3C DDR client tested are a
bit older now, though DeviceMap SimpleDDR should still provide similar
figures (and the WURFL version used was the last Open Source snapshot
available, so there is no new data there to trust or verify)

The open DDR comparison https://github.com/samaxes/ddr-compare will also
work against the W3C DDR version (since most of the code use the org.w3c
API;-) and it would be interesting to see, if one major painpoint [Nokia
E52 (Opera Mobile)] has been resolved by now. Similar to e.g. 51DegreeMobi
proprietary API, a test against the Classifier client should be possible,
feel free to fork the test suite if you want.

I already did demos of the .NET clients in addition to both Java clients.
Probably going to add more live demos, e.g. the GWT one presented on slides
only or maybe AngularJS, let's see. Aside from that synergies with Apache
Pluto and JSR 362 where that JSR deals with device support in EDR1 was also
an option. The outlook already mentioned ideas for the JSON format. I don't
expect a running client or example by late September, at least based on the
repository right now. If real device data was available in the
new/additional format by then, I'd gladly include a demo of it, too.

Regards,
Werner

Re: Call for Papers: "ApacheCON: Core" in Budapest October 1-2 2015.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
OK, there is not much time left so I submitted the proposal with an updated
abstract:

We experience a growing number of mobile and similar devices flooding the
market almost every day. Capturing the specification of each device is a
tough job. If you want to create a great UX you need dynamic content
matching hardware and browser specs of your device. That’s why Device
Description Repositories (DDR) exist. Apache DeviceMap is a collaborative
effort by Adobe, OpenDDR and others to create a comprehensive open-source
and open-data repository of device information and other relevant data for
all types of devices. The project began in January 2012 after which OpenDDR
contributed data and APis for Java and. NET. DeviceMap left Apache the
Incubator Nov 2014. After modularization, DeviceMap 2.0 shall make
classification generic, so people can introduce their own detection
domains. Support further languages like JavaScript/Node.js, etc. and a JSON
representation of device data.

If you spot anything major respond quick, otherwise fingers crossed, they
like it again this year.

I did not find space in this abstract, but the Portlet 3 EG and Spec Lead
(IBM) seriously considers to tap into DeviceMap through the Portlet API.
To get an idea, there's another W3C recommendation, P3P (
http://www.w3.org/P3P/) which the Portlet API since 2.0 supports:
https://portals.apache.org/pluto/portlet-2.0-apidocs/javax/portlet/PortletRequest.P3PUserInfos.html
In a similar way, likely having to retrieve it via the already existing
CCPP extension:
https://portals.apache.org/pluto/portlet-2.0-apidocs/javax/portlet/PortletRequest.html#CCPP_PROFILE
(if that was too cumbersome, for the official JCP JSR referencing to other
accepted standards like W3C DDR I guess that's acceptable, see P3P, but the
Spec/API must not reference directly to an implementation like DeviceMap,
DeviceAtlas, etc. that's the rule for official standards;-)

Implementations like Apache Pluto may on the other hand use other Apache
projects like DeviceMap.
Having not only Apache Portals, but the Who is Who of Enterprise Portal
vendors (IBM, Oracle, Liferay, Red Hat/Exo or Vaadin just to mention other
EG members) use DeviceMap through the Portlet RI would certainly not harm
adoption and quite likely foster contribution to the device data, too.

Werner