Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@101tec.com> on 2010/12/28 05:07:34 UTC

Hadoop RPC call response post processing

Hi All,
I'm browsing the RPC code since quite a while now trying to find any entry point / interceptor slot that allows me to handle a RPC call response writable after it was send over the wire.
Does anybody has an idea how break into the RPC code from outside. All the interesting methods are private. :(

Background:
Heavy use of the RPC allocates hugh amount of Writable objects. We saw in multiple systems  that the garbage collect can get so busy that the jvm almost freezes for seconds. Things like zookeeper sessions time out in that cases.
My idea is to create an object pool for writables. Borrowing an object from the pool is simple since this happen in our custom code, though we do know when the writable return was send over the wire and can be returned into the pool.
A dirty hack would be to overwrite the write(out) method in the writable, assuming that is the last thing done with the writable, though turns out that this method is called in other cases too, e.g. to measure throughput.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Stefan

Re: Hadoop RPC call response post processing

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@101tec.com>.
Hi Todd,
Thanks for the feedback.
> Nope, it's not currently pluggable, nor do I think there's any compelling
> reason to make it pluggable.

Well, one could argue with an interceptor / filter it would be very easy to add compression or encryption to RPC.
But since the nutch days the code base was never architected in extendable or modular way.

> Perhaps you can hack something in a git branch, and if it has good results
> on something like NNBench it could be a general contribution?

Thanks - I pass on that offer. The days waiting a half year to get a patch into the codebase are behind me. :)
I think I will just replace hadoop RPC with netty.

Cheers,

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.
Nah... this is hadoop RPC

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@101tec.com>.
Hi Todd,

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Stefan,

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.
Knowing the tenuring distribution will tell a lot about that exact issue.
 Ephemeral collections take on average less than one instruction per
allocation and the allocation itself is generally only a single instruction.
 For ephemeral garbage, it is extremely unlikely that you can beat that.

So the real question is whether you are actually creating so much garbage
that you are over-whelming the collector or whether the data is much longer
lived than it should be. *That* can cause lots of collection costs.

To tell how long data lives, you need to get the tenuring distribution:

-XX:+PrintTenuringDistribution Prints details about the tenuring
distribution to standard out. It can be used to show this threshold and the
ages of objects in the new generation. It is also useful for observing the
lifetime distribution of an application.

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@101tec.com>.
Hi Ted,
I don't think the problem is allocation but garbage collection.
When the gc kicks in everything freezes. Of course changing the gc algorithm helps a little.
Stefan

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.