Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by George Ludwig <ge...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/05 00:53:41 UTC

T5.3: unable to change color of beaneditor border

I'm want to change the border color of all the beaneditors to blue, so I
added this to my layout.css:

DIV.t-beaneditor {
    background: none repeat scroll 0 0 #FFFFCC;
    border: 2px outset blue;
    display: block;
    font-family: "Trebuchet MS",Arial,sans-serif;
    padding: 2px;
}

However, it remains brown. When I inspect the page using FireBug, I see
this from default.css line 159:
DIV.t-beaneditor {
    background: none repeat scroll 0 0 #FFFFCC;
    border: 2px outset brown;
    display: block;
    font-family: "Trebuchet MS",Arial,sans-serif;
    padding: 2px;
}

Just after that is my entry from layout.css, however all the entries are
lined out.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing?

-George

Re: T5.3: unable to change color of beaneditor border

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.
My general rule is to use "!important" only as a last resort. In
theory, the "!important" part shouldn't be needed here.

As the documentation (http://tapestry.apache.org/css.html) says,
Tapestry takes pains to list its own default.css stylesheet first in
the HTML output, so that its CSS rules can be easily replaced by your
own. Any CSS rules in your custom style sheets that redefine the exact
same CSS selectors should override the ones provided by Tapestry,
unless you use *less* specificity in your selectors than Tapestry
does.

The cascading order rules (especially the rules about calculating
specificity) are described well in the bottom half of
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/cascade.html

With all that said, however, I have seen many cases where even after
doing everything "right" you still can't seem to override the CSS
rules without using !important. I assume browser bugs are to blame for
those case.

Posted by George Ludwig <ge...@gmail.com>.
Perfect, thanks for the link!

Posted by Taha Hafeez Siddiqi <ta...@gmail.com>.