Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by mark benedetto king <mb...@lowlatency.com> on 2004/01/01 16:30:49 UTC

Re: svn commit: r8131 - trunk/doc/book/book

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 06:11:08PM -0600, sussman@tigris.org wrote:
> +        <command>inetd</command>.  The IANA has reserved TCP port 3690
> +        for the svnserve protocol, so on a Unix-like system you can
> +        add a line to <literal>/etc/services</literal> like
> +        this:</para>

I belive it should be called "the Subversion protocol", or perhaps
"Subversion's native protocol".

Also, One Day Soon you might not have to actually add that line, since
OS vendors will probably scramble to be the first ones on their block
to get it into their shipped /etc/services.  You might want to say
"add (if it doesn't already exist)".

--ben

Re: svn commit: r8131 - trunk/doc/book/book

Posted by Colin Watson <cj...@flatline.org.uk>.
On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 11:30:49AM -0500, mark benedetto king wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 06:11:08PM -0600, sussman@tigris.org wrote:
> > +        <command>inetd</command>.  The IANA has reserved TCP port 3690
> > +        for the svnserve protocol, so on a Unix-like system you can
> > +        add a line to <literal>/etc/services</literal> like
> > +        this:</para>
>
> I belive it should be called "the Subversion protocol", or perhaps
> "Subversion's native protocol".
>
> Also, One Day Soon you might not have to actually add that line,

Or One Day Now? :)

  $ cat /etc/debian_version
  testing/unstable
  $ grep 3690 /etc/services
  svn             3690/tcp        Subversion
  svn             3690/udp        Subversion

Re: svn commit: r8131 - trunk/doc/book/book

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 10:30, mark benedetto king wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 06:11:08PM -0600, sussman@tigris.org wrote:
> > +        <command>inetd</command>.  The IANA has reserved TCP port 3690
> > +        for the svnserve protocol, so on a Unix-like system you can
> > +        add a line to <literal>/etc/services</literal> like
> > +        this:</para>
>
> I belive it should be called "the Subversion protocol", or perhaps
> "Subversion's native protocol".

Thanks, I'll change it to "Subversion protocol".  I think the term
"native" connotes favoritism, and I just got through writing a paragraph
about how the project has no "official" network implementation.  (I'm
trying very hard to dispel the FUD I hear over and over about how "you
*must* have Apache to run Subversion!")