Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Elias Torres <el...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/03 16:06:02 UTC

LDAP support/integration for User Registry in Roller

Hi Roller-Dev Team,

My name is Elias Torres, I work for IBM and I deployed Roller almost two
years ago inside IBM for internal blogging. I noticed a recent thread [1] on
LDAP and was wondering what will your reply be. I was reading an old thread
[2] from your previous mailing list on all the questions that came up when
asked before. I'm not sure if this is of importance/interest to you, but I'd
be interested in helping out in making this a feature in roller if not
already there. We have gotten a lot from Roller in the past, it'd be nice if
we gave some back. Maybe we can discuss what sort of LDAP support could be
offered, besides the LDAP authentication configuration in the J2EE container
such as read-only/read-write user information backed by LDAP.

Regards,

Elias

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-roller-dev/200508.mbox/%3cBAY18-F3028B8404878F270734A7A4C20@phx.gbl%3e
[2] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=4459892

Re: LDAP support/integration for User Registry in Roller

Posted by paksegu <pa...@yahoo.com>.
okay thanks, how did you get pass the "Null 500 error"?

Elias Torres <el...@gmail.com> wrote:On 8/8/05, paksegu
wrote:
> I understand that Sun is open sourcing their identification software which will be good thing...I haven't been able to get Roller running due to the "Null 500 error" can someone help? Also can I get documentation on the custom Tomcat Realm implementation.

The custom Tomcat Realm I mentioned in my previous email is simply an
extension to the JNDIRealm [1] provided by Tomcat. I don't have any
documentation on it. A good place to start would be this realm doc [2]

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/realm-howto.html#JNDIRealm
[2] http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/realm-howto.html

Regards,

Elias

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: LDAP support/integration for User Registry in Roller

Posted by Elias Torres <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by paksegu <pa...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.
On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 10:59, Elias Torres wrote:
> I just installed the latest Roller and it's getting easier by the day.
> I tested my requirements by performing a test deployment of Roller on
> Tomcat against an LDAP directory. I was able to do everything I needed
> with a custom Tomcat Realm implementation, but my only real painpoint
> is the *auto* registration.

cool.  good to hear that installations are getting easier since that's what we are hopefully working towards with each release.

> Maybe a good compromise would be a new plugin/interface called
> IAutoRegistration that gets called if a user is not registered and it
> either turns true to be autoregistered by Roller or it does the
> registration itself. Then, all you have to do is check your approved
> list of users in either a text file, db or simply "true" for all
> authenticated users by the container.

i agree that an SSO interface should work well.  the biggest question still on my mind is whether or not we continue to support container managed security.  i am not completely opposed to container managed security, however i still believe that we can simplify the installation and still support an open ended SSO mechanism without the use of container managed security.

maybe what would be truly ideal is if we can support *both* custom security and container managed security.  it seems to me that we could define the security layer such that it allows for pluggable Auth/Auth mechanisms and the default implemenation would be Rollers custom security which does not require the use of container managed security.  however, for those users who really want to they can use container managed security along with a custom Auth/Auth implementation suited for their environment.

back a while ago Matt had suggested using Acegi to implement a custom security system.  i'm not too familiar with Acegi, but i would assume it's very pluggable and should be able to handle this pretty easily.

i'll take a look and see if i can't work out a few more details of how this might be implemented.

-- Allen

Posted by Elias Torres <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Elias Torres <el...@gmail.com>.
On 8/3/05, Allen Gilliland <Al...@sun.com> wrote:
> This is actually a bit different than what we do at Sun.  At Sun we actually have users login to a 3rd party system which allows users to create their blogs and at that point our system does an automated registration into Roller for the user.
>
> What you describe is more along the lines of how I would expect typical SSO integration to work with Roller.  i.e. a user is authenticated against any system, and if Roller doesn't know about them then their data is pulled down.
>
> When you talk about the "proxy" which updates user data based on LDAP, do you mean that all UserData objects are constructed directly from LDAP data?  or do you mean that a UserData object is fetched as usual (from the db) and before it is returned for usage in the system it is updated from LDAP data and susequently stored back into the db with the updated data?
>
> Using a completely isolated persistent store for managing just user data sounds cool, but I wonder if it's more trouble than it's worth.  I wonder if just simple synchronization between Roller and the external system is enough?  Something like an automatic profile update after login is much easier to do.

I'm almost with you that that it's more trouble that it's worth. Just
wondering why people keep bringing it up. There's now Sun and IBM that
use custom registration methods. I'm wondering how many more will
come. I don't know just thinking aloud.

> Another consideration is that to truly make the user registry pluggable in Roller requires a great deal more code per registry type (LDAP, JAAS, etc) than doing a data copy at login style of solution.

Well, usually systems simply create an interface and it's up to the
plugin implementors to choose their implementation (LDAP, JAAS, etc).
Of course a set of default plugins could be provided.

> Elias, if you don't mind sharing I'd love to see some more details about how your LDAP proxy thingy actually works.
>
> -- Allen

The object is first read from the database but before I give it out I
override all properties with the ones coming from LDAP (not many). I
wrote my own LDAP code that connected to our Enteprise Directory but
doesn't do it every time a UserObject is requested. I cache X number
of objects for some configurable time and when it expires it fetches
it again. At least I don't have to synchronize.

Anyways, let me know if there's something useful I might be able to
help out with.

Elias

Posted by Jeffery Chilton <je...@ucdmc.ucdavis.edu>.
Allen,

I did something somewhat similar with Roller on WebSphere here at the UC
Davis Health System. In my case, I wanted to intentionally minimize any
changes to the Roller product wherever possible, but I was working in an
environment where the container-managed LDAP authentication was already in
place, so I had to come up with a way to work within the existing
infrastructure.

I still keep user information for Roller in the Roller database, but I made
a slight modification to the NewUser.jsp file to eliminate the password
fields and convert the username field from an input field to a display
field. Then, by requiring a user to authenticate before accessing the
registration function, I was able to pull the user's LDAP userid from the
request object and deliver it via hidden fields to the new user process,
which looked at that data as if it had been typed in by the user and went
about its normal business of setting up a new blog under that username.
It's just a one-shot deal that only happens when someone sets up their
blog, but it allows me to only create users that are already present in the
external LDAP directory, keeping the two user registries in sync. I could
have done a little more by pulling additional data from LDAP, but as I
said, my goal was to make the changes as minimal as possible (primarily so
that it would not be that difficult to move into future versions of the
product).

The changes that I needed to make to the .jsp actually turned out to be
pretty small (... and I didn't have to populate the password [I don't
think], but I wasn't sure about the field validation, so I went ahead and
did it anyway, just in case.):

       <label for="userName" class="formrow" /><fmt:message
key="userSettings.username" /></label>
       <b><%= request.getRemoteUser() %></b>
       <input type="hidden" name="userName" value='<%=
request.getRemoteUser() %>'>
       <input type="hidden" name="fullName" value='<%=
request.getRemoteUser() %>'>
       <input type="hidden" name="passwordText" value='<%=
request.getRemoteUser() %>'>
       <input type="hidden" name="password" value='<%=
request.getRemoteUser() %>'>
       <input type="hidden" name="passwordConfirm" value='<%=
request.getRemoteUser() %>'>
       <label for="" class="formrow" /><fmt:message
key="userSettings.email" /></label>

       <label for="locale" class="formrow" /><fmt:message
key="userSettings.locale" /></label>
labelProperty="label"/>

             Allen Gilliland
             <Allen.T.Gillilan
             d@Sun.COM>                                                To:
                                       roller-dev
             08/03/2005 12:28          <ro...@incubator.apache.org>
             PM                                                        cc:

                                                                  Subject:
             Please respond to         Re: LDAP support/integration for
             roller-dev@incuba         User Registry in Roller
              tor.apache.org

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Elias Torres <el...@gmail.com>.